Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Many thanks for the link (no pun intended) Gunny- excellent resource. The author does a good job of explaining nitrates and how much to use- a topic that often comes up in the forum.

I just read through pretty much the whole thing and found where many of my sausage mistakes were.

Can't wait to get a Boston Butt and go for another batch.

Vicki B- well worth the read.
Jarhead: How far are you from Neosho and Willow Springs, MO? I may be headed that way later this Spring. So far I am using kits, and adjusting the spices to get what I want. I am looking for a breakfast sausage recipe that uses sage, rep pepper flakes and fennel seed as the main flavor profile. I checked out the link you sent and found a recipe for Summer Sausage, but it uses a cure I can't find around here, and also some extra fermenting agent. I spent the last week looking for these, and can't find them locally. I really don't want to have to get them as mail order. I like a good amount of Mustard seed, garlic and pepper in this sausage (I also add jalapeno to some of it). Any good recipes would be greatly appreciated.
Mike, I live about 40 miles from Neosho and I'm guessing about 125 from Willow Springs. I haven't been there, WS, since I was on recruiting duty back in the 70's. I live just off the highway that connects the two. Hwy 60.
It sounds like you are wanting something of a cross between a breakfast sausage and an Italian sausage. I don't have any ground pork on hand right now, but I will next weekend. I'll try and come up with something the dog will eat. LMAO.
I'll post the results for you. Dead dog or not!!!
The fermenting agent (F-LC culture) gives it a tang associated with a long cure using #2. I use ECA and/or powdered buttermilk to achieve the same flavor. Some people use sour cream. I haven't tried that yet.
I've never used cure #2, in fact I'm scared of it. Way too many variables to keep up with for me. Besides, I want to eat it in a couple days, not a couple months AND I like my dog.
Last edited by Former Member
Jarhead:

My Wife's family is from Neosho, and mine is from Willow (actually Clear Springs). I am going to do a taste test on a pork sausage recipe tonight. I am trying to duplicate the taste of a sausage we used to get from a little butcher shop that hasn't been around for 30+ years. If it is close, I will post the recipe.

Thanks for all of the links. I have added a folder, and am adding these to it.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.