Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Did not realize pigs had teeth like that..lol. Hey we bought a couple of wild hawgs off an old boy up on the Red River a fews years back. He trapped them alive and fed them out good for 30 days then gave them competent job of sanitary butcheirng. Picked it up quartered. Little hams prob weigh 15 lbs each or so. Mighty fine grazings.Hey maybe you could do that for a hobby too?
Being the near illustrious hoo haw of the world Champeen of the Wild Hog Cookoffs up in Foard County one year..can tell yall them biotches aint easy to try to cook one. They are skinny as a grey hound and you cant stick a fork in the gravy. Now they have real wild porkers which did not escape from the yuppie wild game shoot em yourself club grounds just recently. Or jumped the fence etc. Best bet is snatch the back strap and use a lot of Reynolds wrap.
I've looked back at the original recipe for this and I cannot imagine how it can't be good. I think I'd use a more varied "meat loaf" type of mix than just the original Italian sausage (although I love that too), but I'm thinking it would still be amazing. I'm looking forward to Q's response and how you guys suggest that he tweak it! Sweet vs savory cured bacon? Italian vs some other mix? different sauces/rubs? Seems to be a lot of leeway for individual taste. I want to try the weave. It's on my list for warmer weather!
Two biggest issues with BBs.

1. Filling. What you use, how much and how does it come out finished: raw, undercooked or overcooked.

2. Doneness. I think sometimes people overcook them because they want the bacon more done and thus the sausage gets overdone.

For you that love yours, what temp do you take yours to? For me, it's about 155° or so with some carryover.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Two biggest issues with BBs.

1. Filling. What you use, how much and how does it come out finished: raw, undercooked or overcooked.

2. Doneness. I think sometimes people overcook them because they want the bacon more done and thus the sausage gets overdone.

For you that love yours, what temp do you take yours to? For me, it's about 155° or so with some carryover.

The third issue:

3. Too much SALT.
Be careful with the rub because the sausage & bacon are already salty.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.