Skip to main content

I know this ain't on my FEC, but when I get back home it will be.
I got the original recipe from the WD site and doubled it.
Their recipe is below.

Started off with a 10# pork shoulder picnic. Deboned, deskinned and cubed up. (I hope those are words)

Stuck the cubes in the freezer until almost frozen. The sent them through the grinder using the smallest plate that I had. (looks to be about an eighth of an inch)
Ended up with 7-1/2# ground pork.

I couldn't find any chuck roast that I liked, so I bought some 81/19 ground beef. Got it almost frozen and ran it through the fine plate. 2 pounds of it.

Now for the partially frozen 4 pounds of chicken livers. I am sure glad that I done these last. Looks like .... and you fill in the blank.

Mixed all of the meat together for about 5 minutes.

Then I added the dry and wet ingredients.
I mixed for another 10 minutes that seemed like an hour using just nitrile gloves with cold meat.
Man, this stuff is sticky, but that is what you want.

No pics of the stuffing cause of nasty hands. I ain't even getting close to the camera.
Stuffed into 2-1/2" Fibrous Casings and put into a pot of hot 165F water for 1 hour. The IT was 152ish when I pulled them and plunged them into the polar bear swim. Brought the IT down to 90F. Then into that big box thing they call an oven for a 5 hour rest. With the oven light on, I managed to keep about 90F in there.
Right now they are in the smoker, using the Amazin Pellet tube with Oak, applying heavy smoke. Gonna let it run for 4-5 hours.
Then to the fridge overnight and sammwiches tomorrow. Can't wait.

After thought is, I wish I would have weighed them before each of the above steps.

Stay tuned for the result and review.

Braunsweiger [u]Link[/u]

US............Ingredient (Metric)
3 lb............Pork shoulder (1360 g)
2 lb. ..........Chicken liver (900 g)
1 lb............Beef chuck, lean (454 g)
3/4 lb..........Pork fat (340 g )
3/4 cup.......NF Milk powder (58 g)
2 Tbs..........Kosher Salt (40 g)
7 tsp...........Onion powder (27 g)
2 tsp ..........Liquid smoke (hickory)(16 ml)
1 tsp...........Cure #1 (7.0 g)
1 pkg...........Gelatin (7.0 g)
2 tsp........... Pepper, white (5.0 g)
1 Tbs...........Marjoram, ground (4.0 g)
1 tsp...........Ginger, ground (2.0 g)
1/2 tsp.........Nutmeg, ground (1.5 g)
1/2 tsp.........Coriander, ground (1.0 g)

1. Remove any unwanted sinew, fat, etc from livers. Chill all meats to near-frozen.
2. Grind near-frozen liver, pork, beef, pork fat through 3.0mm FINE plate.
3. Put ground meat back in freezer to near-frozen state again. Then grind again a second time through the fine plate.
4. Add the ground meats to the other ingredients (except for gelatin). Dry ingredients can be mixed into 6-8 oz cold water.
5. Mix thoroughly until a sticky, uniform paste is formed (7-10 minutes).
6. Dissolve the gelatin in 1/4 cup of cold water. Pour it into the meat paste & thoroughly mix until the liquid has been absorbed.
7. Stuff into artificial casings.
8. Poach in 165°F water bath until an IT of 150°F is reached—(60-90 min.; depending on size of chubs)
9. Chill rapidly in ice bath.
10. Allow sausages to air dry completely—2-3 hours. OR hang in smoker (no smoke!) @ 100-110° for an hour or so until casings are dry to the touch.
11. Apply heavy hickory smoke for 3-4 hours. No heat.
12. Chill overnight before slicing & serving.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I know you're supposed to rest overnight, but I just couldn't take it any longer.

Oh yes, we have a winner. Paired with some smoked Pepper Jack and a cracker. Where is my BEER?

I left it in the smoke for 5 hours.
I did weigh it this time, so the final yield is 10 pounds 6 ounces for the double batch.

Had a bit more smoke, so I put what was left of the little chubbie back on and a couple sticks of butter.

Gonna let it mellow out in the fridge overnight and breakout the crackers and cheese again tomorrow.
I'll let ya know what the difference is.
quote:
Originally posted by iceblue:
Wow! Thanks for the great directions and pictures. I am so excited to try this. How much more fat do you think it could stand? It looks perfect!

Nice post, Gunny. It looks good and sounds like it tasted good, as well.

I think the answer to your dryness problem lies in the lack of fat. The recipe you used looks familiar, and I think I've seen somewhere in the past' possibly on Len Poli's site. I recall questioning the fat content then as well as a couple of other items such as lean beef.

Your fat content makes up around 12% of the total meat weight and I think it should be at least 25%, if not more. I've seen some old time braunschweiger recipes where there's 50% blend of liver and fat. That may be a bit extreme for some and more common recipes call for pork meat such as butt, pork liver, bacon, and fat. Some also include jowls, snouts' and other pig parts.

Also, for commercial production, the USDA requires that braunschweiger a minimum liver content of 30%, which is where you're at. Most commercial products contain around 40% liver, and many non-commercial recipes are at 50%.

Braunschweiger, by definition but not regulation, is a smoked product. Commercial producers often use smoked bacon scraps as well as Liquid Smoke to develop the flavor.

One question I have is did you substitute chicken liver for the pork liver since it's milder?
Thank you DLS.
The recipe came from WedingyDonowe.com
I have seen posts where they say to use fresh pork liver only. That is hard to find. They also say the frozen will overpower it.
I just went along with the flow and didn't use frozen.
Then I found this recipe that uses chicken livers and just had to try it.
I have read that fresh chicken liver and fresh pork liver are interchangeable. The chicken is milder in flavor, being the only difference.
I use this quite often in Boudin, rather than the fresh pork liver. That will be my next experiment in the usage. I may have to add more liver to it though, to get my flavor.
I just got tired of paying $4.79 for 8 oz of store bought. This batch, I figured my final cost to be $3.81 per pound.

The original recipe
This Recipe

I sampled after a 24 hour rest. The texture and flavor are out of this world.
Now the judging begins. How is the best way to eat it?

IMHO, the winner is: The personalised one of course.

But they were all good. Smiler
I'll just bet they would be even better atop some Ozarks Firecrackers.
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.