Skip to main content

Frowner

So, I take my meat out of the marinade, and let it dry off for about an hour and a half. Then I smoke it for about 4-1/2 hours @ 175-180 degrees. I open the door about every hour and a half to check on it.

but lately, it hasnt been coming out dry, its been coming out cooked. grey-ish in color.

Should I leave it in longer? change the heat I smoke at? I dunno Frowner
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If it's coming out dry and cooked, you're smoking it too long. At 175-180* I would think 4.5 hrs wouldn't be too long, but it sounds like it. When you let it air for 1.5 hrs before smoking it, that also starts drying the meat. Once you've pulled it from curing, throw it into the smoker without airing it. Proceed with the moisture dumping every 45 minutes or so, and watch it. It could be ready anytime after 3.5-4 hrs., but most likely will go longer.

Mine goes for 4.5-5 hrs, but I use a wet cure typically.
A couple questions...

How thick are the pieces of meat that you start with?

On your wet marinade, is there any curing agent...ie, TenderQuick...guess I'm asking what you recipe is, if you don't mind sharing?

I'm with Pags, it sounds like they are too dry(cooked too long).

Not that it matters, but what type of smoker are you using?
CJF28 - You have not used a cure. That is why your meat is grey-ish in color.

Mostly all of ue here on the forum use a cure and that is where the redish color we get comes from, I know it helps in the flavor, and I think texture of the meat as well.

How long did you let the meat sit in the salt/marinade? I don't know how much time the salt needs to work its magic vs. the cure in the marinades or store bought mixes we use. If I make a home made marinade I use Pink Salt, also called Instacure #2, which is specifically used for dried meats. Instacure #1 is for salami, etc. (whole nother subject). I got my Instacure on Amazon if your interested. Try the QDogg method, it has never failed me. But I think once you have a curing agent in the mix, it will come out much better no matter what cooking method you use.

Oh, by the way, your marinade sounds good as far as other ingredients, but if you use a cure you may want to decrease that 1C salt way down because everything else you are adding has its own salt in it. I think you may have brined vs. cured someone else hopefully will chime in and tell you. Brining is usually for something you want to come out juicer. Don't know if that matters? Haven't been doing this long enough to confirm that, just thinking out loud. Vicki
Thanks, Vicki.

I wanted to order some of the Himtn stuff, including the Inferno. I like my jerky hot, its the only way I can keep it for myself.

I usually marinade for at least 48 hours, if not longer.

I havent liked the texture Ive been getting, which is why I started asking about dry brining.

thanks for the info.

I love how helpful everyone is on this site. No one acts "holier-than-thou" and takes the time to teach the new kids.

Cory
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki:
How long did you let the meat sit in the salt/marinade? I don't know how much time the salt needs to work its magic vs. the cure in the marinades or store bought mixes we use. If I make a home made marinade I use Pink Salt, also called Instacure #2, which is specifically used for dried meats. Instacure #1 is for salami, etc. (whole nother subject). I got my Instacure on Amazon if your interested. Try the QDogg method, it has never failed me. But I think once you have a curing agent in the mix, it will come out much better no matter what cooking method you use.

Maybe, I have this all wrong but I thought instant cure #1 was also know as pink salt? This is what is used for jerky and instant cure #2 was for non smoking cure?

CJF28,

CAUTION!!!, instant cure is used in very SMALL amounts. It is a salt,nitrite mixture used to kill any bad stuff(bacteria). Please do some reading on this product if you are gonna use it. Vicki is right, it is what is needed for that pretty redish color on beef jerky. Tenderquick is also another way of using a cure that is not as strong, more room for error with this product and will give you that redish color.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki:

Maybe, I have this all wrong but I thought instant cure #1 was also know as pink salt? This is what is used for jerky and instant cure #2 was for non smoking cure?

Cal - You're correct. Pink salt is Cure #1 (Instacure #1/Prague Powder #1), a mixture of salt and sodium nitrite. It's used with meats that need to be cooked/smoked. Cure #2 is a mixture of salt, sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite. Cure #2 is used on items that are dry cured over an extended period of time, like hams, salamis, pepperonis, and other cured meats which are not meant to be cooked.

Confusing the two can be very dangerous.
Ok, what I should have said was that #1 is for bacon, etc., I was wrong in saying salami.

I thought I used #2 in my jerky because it specifies that #2 is for drying only and never highly heat any products made with #2 because it causes production of nitrosamines (which if I remember are bad carcinogens). #1 I use to make the cure for my bacon. I just read the back of the Hi-Mtn boxes and they only contain the equivalant of Instacure #1 (just the nitrate). I can't locate the recipe I used, but it probably mentioned either #1 or tenderquick, I don't remember. If I did mistakingly use #2 its okay, because I wouldn't be cooking beef jerky to a high heat, so I am okay. I have my bags of #1 & 2 labeled very clearly with "#2 for drying only, never fry or highly heat products make with this" and a big "POISON" so my kids never mistake it for something else!

I thought they were both called pink salt, I know they are both called Prague Powder/Instacure, I was mistaken, sorry.

http://wiki.ask.com/Sausage_making

This is one of the links listing the specifics.

And yes, you have to be very careful in using the products. You should only use 5 tsp per 25/lbs of meat for curing of either #1 or #2. Or follow a recipe from a very reputable cook/cookbook.

Just adding the descriptions I found on one website that sells the products.

Insta Cure™ No. 1, a basic cure used to cure all meats that require cooking, smoking, or canning. This includes poultry, fish, ham, bacon, luncheon meats, corned beef, pates and other products too numerous to mention. Formerly Prague Powder #1. Insta Cure™ #1 contains salt and sodium nitrite (6.25%).
Use 1 level teaspoon per 5 lbs. of meat.

A cure specifically formulated to be used for making dry cured products such as pepperoni, hard salami, genoa salami, proscuitti hams, dried farmers sausage, capicola and more. These are products that do not require cooking, smoking, or refrigeration. Insta Cure™ No. 2 can be compared to the time release capsules used for colds--the sodium nitrate breaks down to sodium nitrite and then to nitric oxide to cure the meat over an extended period of time. Some meats require curing for up to 6 months. InstaCure #2 contains salt, sodium nitrite (6.25%) and sodium nitrate (1%).

Use 1 level teaspoon per 5 lbs. of meat.
Last edited by vickib
Thanks Vicki,

Tender Quick is a blend of salt, sugar, sodium nitrate, sodium nitrite, and propylene glycol. The amount of sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite are 0.5%.

When I looked at the Hi Mountain box for the cure ingredients it said salt,sugar,sodium nitrite(.85%), and caramel color.

As long as a person is keeping the jerky refig while curing, I'd think the TQ would work in place of the Hi mountain cure for a dry cure. Might have to cure for a few extra hours, but really don't think that would be necessary.
Some recipes may call for more. I would do what the recipe says as long as u trust the author. I think the process with the cure is that it sinks into the meat, I am sure others can explain this better. I don't think you would need to use a lot more as u wouldnt need to drown the meat in the marinade, just cover it and move it/flip it around a couple time a day (I like to use ziplock bags for my wet cures, it's so easy to manipulate the meat that way).
I can't answer cure 1 for you, but I too use a wet cure for my jerky. Here it is for reference:

5 lbs sliced meat
1 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of honey
1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons of garlic powder
2 tablespoons of onion powder
1 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon of black pepper
2 tablesppons of Morton® Tender Quick®
1 teaspoon of powdered cayenne pepper

With this recipe the jerky meat sits in a bowl literally covered in a wet cure bath. When the curing process is complete, most of the wet cure is absorbed into the meat. Very little (several tablespoons) drain off with the balance of the wet cure inside the meat.

Obviously, if you're using twice the wet brine, much wouldn't be absorbed. However, if you're ratios of cure to wet brine are intact, your results should not change. Interesting how much wet cure/brine the meat absorbs. Your drying time will increase as a result, but shouldn't take much more than 4.5 hrs at 180* (assuming you've got a Cookshack. Couldn't tell you how long other smokers or a dehydrator would take). Lean towards more wood than not. Jerky likes smoke. Smiler
Last edited by pags
quote:
Originally posted by Kelley:
When using cure 1 for a wet brine would I need to use more than 1 teaspoon for 5 pounds of meat, as all the cure is not staying in the meat when removing it from the brine? I hope this makes sence

The amount of cure #1 used in a wet brine is based upon the volume or quantity of brine used, not the weight of the meat. I've seen a number of recommendations with most falling in a range of 3 oz. (6 level tbs.) to 5 oz. (10 level tbs.) per gallon of water. I use the 3 oz. recommendation. Of course, additional salt has to be added to get get the brine to its proper strength.

Some good info on brine making can be found here.
Last edited by dls
I saw this recipe at Dee Jay's site and thought it looked interesting for someone that likes their jerky hot. It should work for 5 lbs of sliced jerky.

Hot and Spicy Posted by Lionel
1/4 c soy sauce
1/4 c Worcestershire sauce
1/4 c Cayenne pepper sauce
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1-2 t black pepper
1 t Chile powder
1 c water

If you want to cure the jerky, add 2 tablespoons of TenderQuick.
quote:
Originally posted by dls:
The amount of cure #1 used in a wet brine is based upon the volume or quantity of brine used, not the weight of the meat. I've seen a number of recommendations with most falling in a range of 3 oz. (6 level tbs.) to 5 oz. (10 level tbs.) per gallon of water. I use the 3 oz. recommendation. Of course, additional salt has to be added to get get the brine to its proper strength.

Lets make sure I have this correct!

If I'm wet marinading for jerky, I just need the 3-5oz/per gallon solution(cure#1) to be safe?( I too had heard 1 tsp/5ozs of water for 5lbs of meat)....but if I'm wanting to brine then I need to raise the solution up in salt...then this will also vary by the length of time I brine?
Since virtually all my wet cure is absorbed by my sliced jerky meat, I would not increase my TenderQuick from more than 2 TBLs/5 lbs of meat. Remember also, smoking is a form of cure used long ago to preserve meat. Some would argue that since we're thoroughly (and I mean thoroughly) smoking thin slices of beef, no cure is needed.

I use the cure as a precaution and as a flavor enhancer. That said, I still store my jerky in a zip lock bag with the air removed inside the refrigerator. It never lasts more than a couple weeks so I can't tell you how long it'll stay safe.
Well. I went to the store and bought some jerky meat, half price salmon filets, turkey breast on sale and several corned rounds that were half price already.

Like Tom has said, it's good to get to know your butcher. I ordered a 6 lb eye of round on sale for the jerky. Butcher sliced it with the grain 1/4" thick so all I did was come home and hit the slices with the big Forschner to make the strips. The butcher sliced the meat, trimmed nearly a 3/4 lb of fat off for me, and then charged me the sales price on the net not the gross. Shook my hand with a smile and said, "Please come back." Think I'll take him some jerky later this week.

I made up half the jerky in the "Hot and Spicey" brine/cure shown above using TenerQuick, and made the other half in the following recipe:

2.5 lbs jerky strips
2 cups apple juice
1/4 cup garlic granules + TBL
2 TBL onion powder
1 TBL Pepper-coarse
1.3 TBL TenderQuick

Once I had the jerky meat, I couldn't wait on the "Hot and Spicey" Vicki. So we can compare notes. Will also report on the experimental garlic jerky recipe.

I'm smoking cheese now. Mozerella for a friend...requested (she's cute. I couldn't say no). Jerky in the 2 brine cures. Brining the turkey in a couple days. Smoking chicken wings tomorrow night. Tonight's Cod dinner sitting in olive oil and spices. Think I'll head out, have a cigar/Sierra Nevada, and watch the cheese smoke. Life is good. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by CJF28:
So,

it sounds like I have three ways to go?

Instacure #1
Tenderquick
Himtn season packets

CJF28
There are a bunch of other jerky seasonings commercially available too. Cabelas, Sporting Goods Stores, Walmart and online sites. I'm happy with HiMtn for convenience and consistency.

Is that right? any one of those three?
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki B:
Yes. But 1st 2 r only the cure part of a recipe. Have fun with it!

OK, so Tenderquick/instacure #1, I still need to come up with my own spices and flavors

Himtn, and all the others that Joe mentioned, everything is done for me. I just need to add meat.?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.