Skip to main content

I'm new to making jerky but using a Hi Mountain kit my first two attempts turned out great. So, my question is this......I have a bag of Morton's tender quick, their instructions are a smidge different than those on the Hi Mountain box. Are they about the same or different. Should I get some more high mountain or will the tender quick work just the same....following directions on the Hi Mountain?

Rick
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey Rick!,

I've yet to use the TQ in place of the HI mountain cure, but this is what I came up with when researching. I had thought of doing just what you asked about , but haven't yet....

Tender Quick is a blend of salt, sugar, sodium nitrate, sodium nitrite, and propylene glycol. The amount of sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite are 0.5%.

When I looked at the Hi Mountain box for the cure ingredients it said salt,sugar,sodium nitrite(.85%), and caramel color.

What I have found is that when cure is used too long it washes out the flavor of the rub/spices that you are using. So if you try and are having a problem with washed out flavor or "hammy" taste. I would then cut back on your brine time.

I guess you realize Cabela's in KC have the HI Mountain kits?
Cal, not sure why that happens with the flavor washing out, but the same thing happened to me when I let a batch of Hi-Mtn cured jerky sit for 48 hours. Definitely came out with less flavor.

But I did do a batch just the other day and it had to sit for 48 hours until I could get to it and it came out fine. I had put alot of seasoning in it though and that might have been the trick to fixing the wash out.

SALMON - I am guessing you are gonna put your own seasoning recipe in with that tenderquick right?? Because the tenderquick alone is not a replacement for the Hi-Mtn. But I think you might know that, just checking. There are a lot of great recipes on this forum using tenderquick. Have fun!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.