Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by CJF28:
Ive only ever done a marinade or wet brine, or any of those other names for it.

Can someone link me to, or explain, a step by step of using a dry brine?

thanks,
Cory

You posted in Jerky. Are you wanting to make jerky or use a dry brine (such as you would for a steak) since we've had some recent talk about both, just needed to make sure.
I wanted to try dry brine jerky.

the link to the Himtn above is pretty generic. thanks for the help though.

I need like baby steps walk through.

How do you cover the jerky? is it like shake and bake in a ziplock? or should the ziplock be completely full of seasonings? do I wash off after curing?

I mean, lets assume im an idiot, and you need to walk an idiot thru it. ;P

cory
Lay the sliced jerky meat flat, and sprinkle the cure/spice mixture evenly to make sure the jerky meat is well covered...much like a light sprinkling of rub on baby backs. Flip the meat strips and repeat. When sitting in the zip lock bag or covered bowl, I turn, massage and move the jerky around a couple times a day, again, to insure saturation everywhere.

The meat is penetrated at 1/4" a day, but I let the jerky cure for a couple days. Pull, don't rinse, smoke it. If you get Hi Mountain or other spice/cure, they will provide the ratios of spice to cure ingredients. You can also Google recipes if you choose.
quote:
How do you cover the jerky? is it like shake and bake in a ziplock? or should the ziplock be completely full of seasonings? do I wash off after curing?

LOL!....that generic instructions answered all those questions and even gave mixture/ratios to use. The ratios will be the most important part, just like the instructions said.

I'd suggest trying to use a factory mix, before exploring some homemade mixtures...ya know, sorta get your feet wet first before diving in!
Mostly what Pags said: I use hi-mountain as well. lay flat, sprinkle on both sides then throw in a bowl to mix it all up to make sure every inch is coated. I then layer it out into a 9 x 13 pan each layer in opposite directions (I think I am just being anal) and then press the whole layers down slightly. I cover the top of the pan with plastic wrap, pop it in the fridge and forget it for 24 hours per 1/4 inch thick. That is exactly what Hi-Mtn says to do. I use an automatic slicer to cut mine to 1/4 inch all the time, so I am always curing for about 24 to 28 hours. It all depends on when it is convenient for me to start smoking it (usually after dinner for me then done around 10:30). A few extra hours isn't gonna hurt anything, but you want to make sure you got at least 24 hrs. I use the QDogg method outlined in the bold post at the top part of the jerky forum. Any other questions, well be here Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
quote:

LOL!....that generic instructions answered all those questions and even gave mixture/ratios to use. The ratios will be the most important part, just like the instructions said.

I'd suggest trying to use a factory mix, before exploring some homemade mixtures...ya know, sorta get your feet wet first before diving in!

Like, I said, I know nothing of this. So all it says is "after seasoning, put in a ziplock". I wasnt sure how to "season". Did I cover it completely? do i just sprinkle it on the meat?

Like I said, total noob here. Wasnt meaning to sound like I didnt appreciate the help, cuz I did. I just dont want to guess at any part of the process, and waste meat and/or seasonings.

Cory
Like I said, total noob here. Wasnt meaning to sound like I didnt appreciate the help, cuz I did. I just dont want to guess at any part of the process, and waste meat and/or seasonings.

Cory[/QUOTE]

CJF28
Go with the HiMtn Original seasoning. You can sprinkle it on (they provide a shaker bottle) then smoke @160 to 180. Anything higher will cook the meat and dry it out too fast. Test a piece every hour until it is the way you want. It will always be better the next day. Dive in, you can't screw it up. Good Luck!
quote:
Originally posted by Cory:

No problem, It is just really hard to give instructions when we don't know how you are gonna make your dry brine.

The biggest problem you will have is with the cure and the length of the time(it will vary on what/how much cure you use), this is why most of us are recommending you to get a kit to try with.

While this is just a guess, I'd bet the Hi Mountain cure is just Tenderquick and sugar in the raw ground together...but at what strengths would take some practicing to figure out, which I've not done yet.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.