Skip to main content

Normally I smoke my jerky using a wet marinade and cure. Today, I'm trying something different mainly because I'm trying to create a recipe without the added nitrate/nitrites. I am marinating my jerky with no cure then plan to smoke it before putting into the dehydrator. How long should I smoke it and at what temp to ensure I kill bacteria? After smoking, I'll put the jerky into my Excalibur at about 150 or so. Any idea how long in a dehydrator? My meat was sliced at 1/4" thick.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Spicy-Meat:
Normally I smoke my jerky using a wet marinade and cure. Today, I'm trying something different mainly because I'm trying to create a recipe without the added nitrate/nitrites. I am marinating my jerky with no cure then plan to smoke it before putting into the dehydrator. How long should I smoke it and at what temp to ensure I kill bacteria? After smoking, I'll put the jerky into my Excalibur at about 150 or so. Any idea how long in a dehydrator? My meat was sliced at 1/4" thick.

Been making no added nitrate jerky for many moons. Aint never kilt anybody I know. My soak marinade is a carbon copy of Altons. I know he managed to swipe that recipe some way or anoher..lol. An old boy give me that recipe about 40 years ago so it cant be original. I smoke and dehyrate at the same time. A pit temp of around 140 and plenty of good smoke with good airflow takes about 9 hours or till it hits the near breakable stage. I dont have precise temp control that time can vary a bunch. Just prevent nagging by the health conscious types I now pack it in half pans with a tinfoil top and heat in a 250 deree oven till all the chunks check above 160 when stabbed en mass. That usually takes another two hours or so. Be sure and cool it down real good and get it some air or it can spring a mildew. Brown paper bag is a good friend to let it cool dry and breathe.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
bigwheel,
Where have you been?! I've been in withdrawal!
Don't leave us intellectual parasites hanging! Wink
Joe M

Hey Joe..just been sorta lazy. Hope everybody been being nice over here. Thinking of running off a batch or turkey jerky as a next adventure. Had to come over here to find the ultimate recipe ya know?

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.