Skip to main content

Hello,
I just made a batch of 90% lean, ground sirloin beef sticks and jerky. I used Hi Mountain cure and seasoning as directed and it turne out AWESOME!! My question is this, Is it safe to keep out of refrigeration since it is not fully dried? It was cooked at 180 degrees for appx. 1 1/2 hrs. If I vacuum seal it and ship it, will it keep or spoil? Thanks in advance for your help!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I vacuum seal and ship via UPS "cured" jerky to Chicago from California all times of the year. If properly cured, you should be good to go.

Another way to think about it, jerky and beef sticks are shipped all across the country and inventoried in stores and gas stations everywhere...safely. The key is the cure. Vacuum seal offers limited additional protection.
Thanks Pags! I was just concerned because the Hi Mountain instructions say to refrigerate or freeze after making. Also do to the moisture still in it, but I guess thats where the cure comes into play. Any idea of the shelf life on a properly cooked and cured beef stick unrefrigerated? Also I am not using casings...
quote:
Originally posted by jak211:
Thanks Pags! I was just concerned because the Hi Mountain instructions say to refrigerate or freeze after making. Also do to the moisture still in it, but I guess thats where the cure comes into play. Any idea of the shelf life on a properly cooked and cured beef stick unrefrigerated? Also I am not using casings...

Heck, just to be safe send it to me and I'll let you know.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.