Skip to main content

I am new at making homemade jerky. My dad makes jerky a few times a year when he gets a deer while hunting. He gets the deer meat sliced thin for the jerky. He has shared his recipe with me so I can make the jerky during the off seasons and I was wondering if anyone has made jerky with ground beef? A close friend of mine brought some homemade jerky he made with ground beef and it wasnt all that bad. Just wondering what everyone's view is. Do you prefer making it with deer? I was planning on making it with ground beef and shooting it out on a dehydrater with a jerky gun.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I love making ground beef jerky. It's a cheap way to make a quick batch trying different ingredients. Some things I've found making gr. beef jerky - buffalo is waaaaaaay too dry! Oy, I mean dry!! Believe it or not, the 7% hamburger at Wal-Mart is perfect. Go figure. I tried the high end gr. beef at Whole Foods....it's good, but why pay that $$.

I make about a batch every weekend and test it on my colleagues. Their palettes aren't that refined but I know I've hit on a good ingredient when the bag is gone within a few days. These slobs don't know it, but they're my test kitchen. I'm trying to recreate a flavor I found years and years ago at my G'Pa's gas station. He used to sell candy, chips, and individually packed jerky strips. OMFG! Needless to say, my test kitchen is busy every weekend testing new ingredients and my clueless co-workers couldn't be happier.

To recap: I haven't found ground buffalo to make a good jerky. =[

kbye

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.