Skip to main content

Costco precooked Turkey Breast

I'm going to try smoking one of these. It's 3.8lbs and pre cooked. I am "assuming" it will absorb some smoke taste.

Any advice on smoke absorbation on a precooked, or how long it might take to "reheat" would be appreciated. I plan on using apple chips (by request).

Edited: I see on the package it says 325deg for 1.5hrs. I'm guessing 215deg will take about 50% longer given that it is 2/3 +/- the temp of the directions.

Thanks
Mike C
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

mike,
even tho the brand we use at the bbq joint i work for part time is jennie-o here is how we do them on the southern pride unit.
cut them into quarters
heat at 225f
time for 90 mins
wrap in foil
hold at 165 during lunch
refrigerate any left overs
wood is white oak
hope it helps some
jack
Thanks Jack

I'll try that on my next one. Yesterday I ran it at 215deg for 3hrs with 2oz of apple wood. It was a very big hit. Internal temp was only 135, remember its pre cooked anyway, target was 140. I would have preferred 140 but, nobody else seemed to care, so I would say it was a success. It took on the smoke flavor perfectly. I'll try your method on the next one.

Thanks again
Mike C
Every "presmoked" turkey I've ever had tasted like ham--pink throughout with a strong salty/hammy taste and not much evidence of smoke except for the rubbery skin (perhaps it's just overpowered by the hammy taste).

But the ones I've smoked myself have come out as you'd expect--the meat still white, juicy, and a light smoke flavor throughout (though the skin is still rubbery).

If I want ham I'll buy a ham.
dennis,
for the most part i agree with you.
but here is a zen-like thought that i try to keep in kind while working commercially.
i try to view the jennie-o as a brisket.
briskets are a dog to get right and consistant everytime. if i hold that line of thought while doing the jennie-o's i can get a great (to the buyers way of thinking) product and can improve my overall cooking technique at the same time.
everybody wins and my karma doesn't run over my dogma.
jack
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis-UT:
[qb] Every "presmoked" turkey I've ever had tasted like ham--pink throughout with a strong salty/hammy taste and not much evidence of smoke except for the rubbery skin (perhaps it's just overpowered by the hammy taste).

But the ones I've smoked myself have come out as you'd expect--the meat still white, juicy, and a light smoke flavor throughout (though the skin is still rubbery).

If I want ham I'll buy a ham. [/qb]
Thanks for your opinion Dennis, but if you'll check out my original post, I didn't ask you "should I cook this for my family?" And I posted my results in the hope that if someone else were to search on the topic they would find at least a little data.

Mike C

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.