Skip to main content

I bought this Coleman cooler on sale last year and used it this weekend for the first time to brine a 16# turkey. It was the perfect size and I thought I would pass it along.

It comes with a plastic insert inside the cooler.

I double bagged my turkey and brine in garbage bags. Then placed the turkey in the cooler and loaded up with ice. Brined for about 30 hours or so.

It is not the most energy efficient cooler ever, and I had to add some ice a couple of different times, but the size was spot on and the plastic insert keeps everything contained in case a bag leaks.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_3523
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Andy--agreed. it is a cooler we use for day trips while traveling. Great convenience. Would work poorly if you were to go camping or something like that. It is insulated, but it is the soft sided cooler type.

Jay -- I have brined up to 48 hours without issue. However, when I go that long, the meat is a bit too salty. I typically run 24-30 hours and get the results I like.
I think this was the best turkey I have ever done.
I use Smokin's brining 101: http://www.cookshack.com/store...ng-101#_Toc528293329
I guess the key to both texture and saltiness is the salinity of the brine and the duration of brining. I recently saw a recipe (Food Network Mag) with 2/3 to 1 cup of Kosher salt to 1 gallon of water, with the admonition about not brining longer than 24 hours. I see that Smokin's brine recipes range from 1/2 to 1 cup of salt per gallon, so as usual, it seems to be all about what you like.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.