Skip to main content

this forum is great and a thought crossed my mind. we have a lot of past and present military on this site and I thought if we put our collective minds together (not much matter there but it should be enough) we could come up with a way of cooking an extra bird or 2 or more to deliver to a wounded warrior or military family for thanksgiving.

thoughts?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I love the way you're thinking!!!! As a recently retired Army Chaplain, I know that for active duty Soldiers (can't speak for other services), Thanksgiving is a really well done holiday for Soldiers. There is a big (and I mean really big) ta-do at the Chow halls. It is tradition for leaders and their families to eat at the Chow hall for Thanksgiving with the younger troops and the leaders themselves are serving the food in the line. Every post I've ever been, the chaplains had commissary vouchers for junior enlisted Families to do some extra shopping free during Thanksgiving.

I would contact Wounded Warrior project directly and they could point you in the right way to help a family with a wounded or injured service member or veteran. .
Please remember our soldiers overseas as well. My brother just landed in Qatar last month for this tour. Working on a nice care package of rubs, sauces and spices to send him and his fellow soldiers over there. With the price of turkey's so low this time of year, we are already planning on selling ours as buy one and we donate one for one price. Like your idea to help!
quote:
Originally posted by seasoned1:
Chaplain Bill

Doesn't seem to be much interest in the forum for this...

seasoned1, I'm not so sure there's a lack of interest as much as how does one respond. It planted a seed for me- I'm sure for many other's, too. A local radio station is collecting Thanksgiving cards to send out to all our Colorado Guardsmen and women serving overseas.

I think you've got a good idea, too.
i just thought that we have so many great cooks here and this is an opportunity to either make a fantastic thanksgiving for either a wounded warrior, a military family who has someone over seas or even a vet.
to find out if someone like that is in need we can contact wounded warrior thru the site i listed, a local American Legion or other channels. it was just a thought that popped in my mind and i am trying to pursue. that's all.
It is a great idea, but a lot hinges on peoples schedules. Two years ago, I didn't really have any big plans, last year I had a lot of people over to my house, this year I'll be out in Arizona visiting my daughter for Thanksgiving.

It's not necessarily that there is no interest, might just be bad timing.

And as a side note, we'll probably have a new forum member soon as I'm bringing out my old 020 to give her as an early Xmas present.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.