Skip to main content

My first attempt at smoking a Turkey. I use an Amerique. I was not going to brine but after reading the forums for several days that seems to be the way to go.

I could not find a large bucket to fit my fridge, so I used a large turkey cooking bag to hold the brine and turkey.

Used Smokins' brine recipe. I brined for 28 hours, turning the 15 pound turkey over in brine several times.

My question is - will the turkey be ok from bacteria, since part of it was not completely covered (in the bag) during the brining? I tried to get all air out and I put turkey in a bag, then put in a small box (which helped it from "spreading" keeping more brine on the turkey), and all fit into a large aluminum pan in fridge.

I noticed in reading about brining - it was critical to keep the turkey completely covered in the brine or you risk unsafe conditions.

The temp in the fridge according to my new thermometer is 32 degree's - but I find that hard to believe since there are bottles of water in fridge and they are not frozen.

Just wondering what you guys suggest - should I throw the turkey out or smoke it?

I planned to cook at 250 degree's with inside probe in thigh at 180 degree's.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • P1070500
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I would cook it up and eat it, assuming you kept the brining temp below 40* the whole time. The turkey was turned several times. You might want to check your new thermometer for accuracy and recheck your fridge temp, or maybe use a different thermometer to see if the temp reads about the same. Good luck-

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.