Skip to main content

I used to deep fry my birds, but here in Idaho, Thanksgiving can be fairly cold, and getting that much oil up to temp. when it is below freezing and the wind is blowing is next to impossible. After a classic fail due to the weather, I bought my first Cook Shack smoker. Since I was already familiar with injecting my birds, my first bird in the smoker was injected. I was already using the Cajun injector marinades, and went with that. I had learned to stuff the cavity of the bird by watching my Mom cook her birds. Aromatics. I season the cavity with Poultry seasoning and stuff with Onions, Celery, sage, rosemary, etc. She also threw in slices of orange. The first bird was an experiment, and I would have to say it was a fail. The old 09 would only go up to 250 degrees, and the skin came out grey and rubbery. One the skin was removed, the meat underneath was simply amazing. This was in 2003, and some 10 birds ago. I found this site, and did a lot of reading. I started mixing honey into the butter that I rubbed on the outside of the bird, and the next year the skin actually browned up in the 09, but it was still not crisp. The next year we smoked the bird, and finished it in the oven. Great bird. great flavor, crispy brown skin, and just a hint of orange flavor (I used orange blossom honey in the butter. I got my 045 4 years ago and haven't had to finish a bird in the oven since. I am about simple, and the easier the prep the happier I am. I would love to try brining a turkey, but simply do not have the room. I still inject them the day before I put them on. I still use the same aromatics in the cavity, and still mix the orange blossom honey in the butter. Thanks to this sight, I now drape the outside of the bird with butter soaked cheese cloth. I make sure that it drapes down into the pan. This year I am going to do a combination butter of butter mixed with poultry seasoning, and orange zest. This will get rubbed under the skin before I inject it (I like the Creole butter, or Turkey supreme). I do try to use fresh herbs, but will use some dried seasoning. I like a mix of wood, and will do pecan mixed with some newly found Orange this year. I don't know if I am doing it right, or not, I just know that it is done, tastes greats, and when you make that first slice, the juices will run.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 2012_Turkey_3.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Mike:
I would love to try brining a turkey, but simply do not have the room.

If you have a trash bag, a brick, & a 5 gallon bucket, you have plenty of room to brine a turkey. The biggest problem you may have is it freezing solid if you leave it outside. Eeker
Just pack in ice (you can put the bucket in a cooler/sink/bigger bucket of ice) and put the brick or something heavy on top to keep it from floating.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Mike:
I would love to try brining a turkey, but simply do not have the room.

If you have a trash bag, a brick, & a 5 gallon bucket, you have plenty of room to brine a turkey. The biggest problem you may have is it freezing solid if you leave it outside.

Yep, like Joe said, as long as you have room for a 5gal bucket. Cover it up, and stick it in the garage. Never had a problem with it freezing up here in Chicago. If you see ice forming, just bring it in the house for a few hours, then stick it back out in the garage.
I've got 2 turkey breasts that I'm injecting Weds morning for the Turkey day smoke. Here's the ingredients I'm using:

2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup garlic juice
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1 tablespoon hot sauce
6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoon rosemary
2 teaspoon sage
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoon thyme

Heat in small pot to make sure all ingredients dissolve, let cool, place in fridge till needed. Warm in microwave to get it ready to inject.

Normally, I brine but I'm looking to add flavor and moisture without as much salt. I've injected before and smoked them, and they turn out great.
Jay: The skin wasn't crunchy crispy but it wasn't rubbery either. For us it was just right. I used 2 oz. of pecan wood, and 2 oz. of Orange wood. It wasn't overly smoked at all. I think loosening the skin (even on the thigh and leg and then getting the butter mixed with diced fresh sage, thyme, rosemary, and orange zest and then getting it under the skin and on the outside was the trick. You taste the flavors all the way to the bone.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.