Skip to main content

After reading some of the archives about bitter tasting meat, I've cut back on the amount of wood as suggested. My last smoke I only used 1 chunk of hickory (2 oz. max). Problem is that the meat tastes good but if we add a commercial BBQ sauce, a very bitter/acrid taste comes out. I'm not doing anything special, using CS rubs, and no fancy marinades. The local joints cover their meats with sauce when they serve them, so I can't understand what the difference is. Any suggestions? Seems to happen on any meat ... brisket, ribs, pork.
Thanks, Vic
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

as an experiment switch to the same amount of oak on your next smoke or keep dropping the amount of hickory back until you hit the taste that you want.
hope this helps some
jack
ps. after reading paul kirk's book and experimenting myself i no longer use hickory just a blend of oak, pecan and cherry. but taste is a very subjective thing. so play and have fun
The only trouble I ever had with acrid taste was on my 3rd smoke with the CS I put 4 oz. of hickory in with 4 skinless chicken breasts. You think acrid..........and on top of that I caked on the spicy chicken rub.......you think acrid and hot!

But then again I'm the guy that didnt read the label on Jack's Insanity Sauce and smothered a whole pheasant in it to get my rendition of buffalo pheasant..........I didnt eat that either Eeker
quote:
Originally posted by vic:
[qb] How does green wood affect taste? My apple trees are always needing trimmed ..... [/qb]
I trimmed some 3-4" dia limbs this spring and plan to let them dry in the basement over the winter before cutting them into "pucks" next year.

I don't think green wood of any sort will have a happy ending in a smoke box.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.