Skip to main content

I've read some of the discussions about temperature fluctuation in the CS's. I personally haven't checked mine but I'm sure there's some temperature variation. I was at Lowe's not long ago and saw some of those ceramic briquets that people put in their grills to even cooking temperature. I was wondering if you could use those in a CS to try to lessen the temperature variations? I guess that it sounds like it'd be worth a try but would it really make a difference in cooking time or anything. Has anyone tried this?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ceramic gives the gas something to warm up,so that in direct grilling there is some kind of surface on a very irregular shaped element.

The real usage would be so the dripping grease can hopefully hit something,burn/smoke,and give of a grilled aroma/flavor.

Is there a problem with some temp variation?

Just my $0.02
Adding bricks, water pan, etc is all about increasing the thermal mass. That's an important features of wood burners where temp spikes can be absorbed somewhat by thermal mass and in turn the mass can release its stored heat if the fire dwindles.

But those are non-issues with the CS. I used to monitor the smoker temp along with the meat temp in my CS, but I soon realized that it wasn't necessary. I no longer worry about the smoker and focus on other aspects of the cook.
The only fluctuation problem I have found is my appetite. After smoking a good set of ribs, butt or brisket I get so hungry that I eat till it doesn't taste good. Go five hours and start over again, just to see if it taste good again. Roll Eyes

Fluctuation from starvation to stuffed - I don't have that problem with kitchen cooked food. I blame it on having a Cookshack smoker - wife says "Yea! Your not supposed to eat four BBQ meals a day each time you use the thing." Big Grin

smokemullet

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.