Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have done herring twice and did not smell anything, just the normal smell of a smoker.
Did you buy them(fresh -frozen?), catch them? Were they given to you? If a fish smells it was not properly cleaned and/or stored properly. Herring is a very stinky fish even when they are still alive in the bucket. I caught the ones I smoked on dec 29, 2005. Brought them home, scaled, cleaned, and put them in the fridge in a salt brine to draw more blood out. Then put them in a brine with more flavor enhancing ingredients for a couple of hours, drained, dried, smoked.
A friend of mine caught them.
They were frozen in vacuum pack bags, thawed in refrigerator rinsed and did not smell then I submerged into brine forced all air out of zip lock bag for 12 hours.
Smoked at 180 for 2 hours turned up to 225 for 30 minutes more.
Same thing I have done before with Norwegian Salmon, which never left such a strong smell.
I smoke a lot of fish being around the gulf coast area. These smokers can get fishy especially if you are a fish lover. I have tried a product named Bio-Zap. It's an outstanding product. Just be on the safe side, rinse down the smoker real good after each and ever use with Bio-Zap product.I've been using this for years. It actually works!!

Happy Que'n,
Smoky
Texas BobbaQ

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.