Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

gc/tx, no drip pans inside. disposable pans, you are right, they could blow away without some weight inside, eg, a rock or something. Also be aware that salt from your drippings will eat holes in those pans eventually, I know. I've heard of people using heavy glass pans, no problems there. Welcome to the forum and happy cooking, Bob
you dont want the pan blocking the heat/smoke from the wood box. Also any kind of a pan about as high as a jelly roll pan works.I have my 008 on top of a stand so there isn't lots of room.Sometimes I put a disposable pan inside of another heavier one.It kind of wedges in so doesn't blow away.
I have what Hippie has.

You can also go to a restaurant supply store and buy an heavy aluminum pan just the size you want and THEN add a temp alum pan inside that. Remember you're going to have to empty/wash it. The removable pan you can just toss. It won't blow away if you buy a pan deep enough to fit under the smoker that won't let the insert fly out.
I think the model 55 is the residential version of the commercial model 075 that we use. We just use a 1/2 size 4" deep stainless steel insert pan for the drippings. It would certainly not blow away outdoors. You can go into any restaurant supply house and ask for a 1/2 size 4 inch deep insert pan, and they'll know what you're talking about. Should probably run about $15, give or take. Sam's club here sells two packs of them on the restaurant supply aisle for about $30. Dimensions are approximately 12 x 10 inches. These are also known as hotel pans or steamtable pans.

I'm not sure if this solution would work for the Smokette, as I've never used one or seen one in person. The stainless hotel pans also come in 2" deep versions that might fit under the Smokette, from looking at the pictures on this site.
Half size stainless steel steam table or hotel pans are the best. 2" high is more than enough for a 050. They are available at just about any wholesale type grocery or restuarant supply. You also might put a similar pan of baked beans on the bottom tray to collect the dirippings. This replaces some of the water with tasty drippings and fat. I suppose you could skim of some of the fat, but Q ain't supposed to be eaten like granola and yogurt! Depending what you are cooking you may have to adjust the time, I normally add the beans about half way through. Bush's best come out much gooder than store bought, especially with a little extra brown sugar and or molasses Cool
I have my Smokette under the carport on top of cynder blocks with a grate perfect level. (If I drip anything, it is easy to just turn the block and looks clean) I like others use a small broiler pan. It slides under the cooker and catches BOTH drain holes.I go to the local thrift store and you can find them for .25 or .50 at any thrift store. If you search the utensiles area you can find tongs, ss hotel pans, trays etc for almost nothing. Oh,yeah, ALWAYS ask for a discount!! Big Grin
The idea of cynder blocks is interesting. I tried to put a brick in my pan and slide it under the cooker, but the cooker is so low to the ground that the pan and brick would not go under it. I too need to do something like you did to raise it off the concrete, to at least raise it a little higher.
After cleaning it this evening, I'm thinking a cart/stand would be a nice thing to have. Might spring for one in another month or two. Hippie, I know what the broiler pan is, but my wife has dubs on it for her own use. Actually, the disposable pans, one stacked in the other in case of a leak, worked ok. I put a couple of rocks in it to keep it from blowing out from under the cooker.
Search for some homemade carts/sheds some owners have made. I've seem some pics of some amazing smoker shelters.

Drip pan: dig through the dredges of your cupboard for an old tin 9x13 pan. Fits just right, won't blow away, the dog won't eat it, it's cheap, and you already have it. Buy your wife a nice new one to replace the one you took.
I have used my smoker for numerous events, including Boy Scout fund raisers. In a pinch, like when you have to get up too early to remember to grab your drip pan, I have fashioned one out of aluminum foil and folded some paper towels to put in it with a couple of rocks to weigh it down. The best part is that when you are done, just crumple it up and toss it in the trash.

If you do go with the half size stainless steel steam table, you can line it with foil for easy clean-up. I add the paper towels to prevent drips from splashing the bottom of the smoker.

Happy smoking!
Just be sure the Smokette and stand are on a level surface and if it is still out of adjustment, get the toolbox out.

I would recommend any Smokette owner or anyone thinking of ordering a Smokette get the stand and cover. I don't want anyone to get talked out of buying the stand because it is so handy and helpful.

Cool
I am not saying that it isn't a good set up either.Like it is said above, together they make a nice pair With the cover I don't worry as much about there not being a tight seal around the door.
My husband says the sheet metal screws in the cart door hinges are off about a sixteenth of an inch and he might back them out and fix.But I have lots of other honey-do's more pressing than this...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.