Skip to main content

I got my husband a Cookshack SM009 for Christmas. I think I'm more excited about it than he will be. Any recommendations on what to get to smoke first . . something that's almost a "no fail" recipe? I've been reading through previous posts and I'm leaning towards getting a pork butt and seasoning it so it will be ready to use on Monday.

I do have a couple of questions (1) I don't really have a place to keep the smoker out of the weather unless we leave it in the garage and bring it out to use it. Would it hurt to leave it outside with the cover over it?

(2) If our smoker is going to be sitting outside, can it be used if it's raining?

Thanks!

Judy L.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

JudyL,

A nice big fat butt is the way to go just make sure you use a remote thermometer to monitor inside meat temp.. Leaving the smoker outside WITH the cover on should be O.K. so long as your not smoking at the time. Using while raining is dependent on how hard altho some would sugest some sort of non restricting cover for the vent, a little rain won't hurt anything. Just my .002 Good Luck DON'T to forget to season the smoker before your first smoke

Mark
JudyL,
My 008 sits on the deck outside in the weather within its cover. Also, there are some people who keep their smokers in the garage and bring them out.
As far as using it when it is raining??? only thing is keeping rain out of the hole on the top where the smoke comes out. There are lots of suggestions from the men on this site as to possible ways to shield the hole.You can probably come up with something simple like a colander or mesh strainer over it with just a bit of foil above the location of the hole.
Judy,

I agree with the 1st smoke being a butt. And along with not forgetting to season the smoker dont forget to use the drip pan either.

As for rain.........well, it seems I have the uncanny ability to get the hankering to smoke something only when the weather is sh*#!y. All you have to do is get a cardboard box slightly larger than the width and depth of the smoker. Just throw it over the top. It protects the vent hole and the thermostat. A box the size of a bannana box from your grocer should do the trick.

Welcome to the forum and Happy Holidays to you and yours!
I'd recommend a Pork Butt to start off with as well. Pretty darn foolproof.

I used to string tarps up to smoke in inclimate weather, but now I just put a golf umbrella over the Smokette. No problems at all.

And, if your husband doesn't know it yet, he should, you're a "keeper". Any wife buying bbq accessories for the hubby deserves a new diamond.

Have fun!
I can't remember the last time we bought something that pleased us as much as this little smoker! DH opened it on Christmas Day but it rained most of the day so he didn't want to season it. We got it going early Monday morning and then once it was finished seasoning, we put in two chickens that I had rubbed on 12/24 with mayo and Wild Willy's Rub. They were so good! Can't wait to make gumbo with the leftover chicken meat.

Last night we started smoking a butt that was coated with mustard and rubbed with Wild Willy's also on 12/24. We'll never need to go out to eat again . . the pulled pork was the best I've ever had!

We have nothing to smoke tomorow! Frowner

Judy L.
Judy, We've never used the smoker out in the rain, it's in a trailer with an exhaust set up, but Mainely Dave's idea of a golf umbrella would work great. Or if you have an umbrella on your patio. We use an umbrella as part of our farmers market set up. Jack was smoking in a downpour which killed out the generator. He's used the market umbrella since then to cover the generator during rain. It's a beach umbrella we got at Sams. I'd wipe the smoker dry after it got rained on before covering it.
Peggy
My smoker, 008, is in the weather at all times. Unfortunately, I don't have a custom cover.. but, in the past, covered w/ a cheap blue plastic tarp. In fact, I've pinned it to the side of the house over the smoker when using it in the rain. I'd do it to just keep the electronics from getting wet.

My first three smokes were cheap chickens. First bird I used too much wood.. yuk.. but the other two, I used 1.5 oz of wood, alder in this case.. and they turned out great. I discarded the skin cuz it was too rubbery. Now I smoke the birds for about 1hr:30min and finish them in on the Weber. Same with turkeys.

I wish the smokers got a bit hotter.. as up to about 325�F.. but, they don't.

I didn't do a butt for a while.. but sure like the results.. they take a LOTTT longer than a yardbird tho.. just be aware of that.
judy,
a trick that has worked well in our electric smoker to get a more crisp skin is to lightly sprinkle it with salt and let it air dry in the refrigerator and then wipe off the salt before hitting it with the rub. can't really say why it works. consulted with some chef friends and the only thing we can figure out is that extracts some subcutaneous moisture and lets the fat render quicker but it does seem to work. the other thing we also do is to make sure the interior meat temp is around 32f when putting the chicken in the smoker using this technique. by doing this your time to proper interior meat temp is increased and this renders even more fat out of the skin and your chicken does not over cook
jack
I have used thighs and drumstick of the last whole turkey I smoked 2 weeks ago for cooking with navy beans --bean soup. And a week ago used white meat from a whole breast I smoked in a stew with root vegetables and gravy.Bothe were great. I wonder if you marinated a breast or pieces in a butter/hot sauce like for wings then smoked.That would be good in gumbo
I like to use the leftover poultry for salads, too. Mix some pieces with fruit, nuts, celery, and a light dressing. Or use the pieces with salsa, corn, peppers, beans(not baked beans, I use black beans or garbanzos) and serve with nacho chips or on a bed of lettuce.
It also goes great in Brunswick stew.
Smoked poultry also can be used in about any recipe you might use ham in. Just gives a little lighter flavor.
I think you'll be really happy with your smoker.
Peggy
billyq,

I use an extension cord with my 008 all the time and have seen no ill effects. The cord doesn't heat up at all and where I have my smoker is some distance from the outlet it is plugged into. Please, if you will, tell me what I should be on the lookout for. Thanx,

Happy Trails
billyq & Happy Trails

I also use an extension cord all the time with my CS55 and that is a bigger heating element. I have no choice.

Happy Trails - The issue with an extension cord is voltage drop over a distance. If you use a heavy gauge cord (minimum 16 gauge for an 008 due to a 500 watt element) as short as possible then you should be ok. If you need a cord longer than 20-25 ft. then use a 14 gauge. Wink
JudyL; Glad to hear DH was pleased. Sounds as if it was a Christmas gift. Good choice! I'm still trying to pry the Oreck outta my a-- , BAD CHOICE . Somewhere in the forums are details of a cookshack shack, some good idea's there. My 008 has lived out side for years (in something simular to a cookshack shack) without any problems. I do have a dedicated electrical circut w/ gfi, just a safety issue .....Have Fun.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.