Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Gregory, I would start with pork ribs or a
butt the cooker is very forgiving. I put a butt on say 9:00 that night and go to bed and its ready the next moring about 2 hr. per pound. I get good ribs in 4hour at 225
setting. I cooked a butt allmost 3hrs per pound and it was good. Just don't use to much wood.
GREGORY:

I have been smoking for about 2 months on my smokette. I've been paying attention to the forum and taking good notes. You'll see that a lot about keeping good records. It doesn't have to be like school,,, Confused HAVE FUN WITH IT Wink

Anyway, Ricky is right. My first was a butt and it was about 6 lbs and it took about 14 hours. I opened the door a few times because I was freaking out because the book said it should take 6-7 hours. Another lesson learned and you'll hear it from Smokin Okie and it's so true,,,,"it's done when it's done" but your own records will help you with that also.

Here is another one that was incredible.

Country Style Ribs & Tenderloin Pork chops: 4 lbs +

225 about 3.5 hours and then turned down to 140 for about � hour. Seasoned with rub spices and Lawrys and Garlic. Fricking Fantastic. Nice bark and everything. AAA++++

3 oz applewood

Suggestion,,,BIG SUGGESTION Mad ,,,,Get a probe thermometer. When I first started watching the forum I saw people taling about Polders. Hell, what was a polder!?!? The Fisherman hooked me up here in Iowa for $19.00 at an outlet mall.

I've been doing a lot of chicken here lately and perfecting that. Trying to anyway. You'll find your mistakes are still pretty darn delicious!!!

Being new at most things suck,,,unless it's sex of course. And you're gonna make some mistakes. Don't get stressed like one guy I've seen post the last couple of weeks. These are some killer smokers and the customer service I've seen and found just the limited time involved are killer.

If you have any questions just ask. Stay the course and again,,,,,,have fun with it!!

Sharing the love,,,,,,,,,,Iowa Man Big Grin Big Grin
Welcome to the group Gregory, you'll find lots of information here.

The change is, what can you find at the local store. In California, I'll see if they have a 5 to 8 lb boston butt/picnic. They're very, very forgiving and like others have suggested, we can help you through it.

Other option is tri-tip. If you do a search for tri-tip (click on the search link near the top of the page, type in tri-tip and then select all forums from the scroll down menu).

Other option is chicken, it's fast:

Chicken in a Cookshack

ribs can be done, but for your first time, they can easily be under cooked or over cooked.

And Iowa Man, what's that crack about Taking Notes being like School? You're not going to get your certificate from Q University if you pick on the forum moderator like that Wink
I have found ribs to be the hardest thing to cook correctly in the cookshack. Start with other large cuts of meat to get the feel of your unit before trying ribs. While a large cut is more expensive, I have found them to be more forgiving when overcooked or undercooked while learning. (I know, I just couldn't wait to eat ribs either). I found that the toughest cut of meat to cook correctly is actually the easiest in the cookshack - a brisket. It took me several tries, as the old labeling said to cook brisket at a low temperature, but the labels have been changed on the newer machines for accurate information. Just set the thermostat to 225 and cook for one hour per pound. This is actually a good rule of thumb for all meats, 225 degrees and one hour per pound. If cooking multiple pieces of meat, cook for one hour per pound of the largest single cut (example, 3 chickens @ 3 lbs each would cook for 3 hours}.
quote:
And Iowa Man, what's that crack about Taking Notes being like School? You're not going to get your certificate from Q University if you pick on the forum moderator like that Wink

Big Grin "I LOVE YOU MAN" "BUT YOU'RE NOT GETTING MY SMOKER SMOKIN" Big Grin

At least I didn't say anything about Oklahomans (is that right, Oklahomans or is that like Andie's Moose's really being Meece because that's plural) but, anyway, I didn't say anything about Lebanese snacks or something of that nature!

NOW,,,back to Gregory. I have been having a ball the last couple of weeks with Chicken and Smokin is right and it's fast and it seems pretty foolproof.

Here's one that I did that's easy, fun and delicious.

I bought a bag of drumsticks and a bag of drumwings at Walmart. Gosh the drumsticks were about $2.50 and the drumwings were about $6.00 and I marinated them in plain old Italian Dressing for about 12 hours. Make sure they are defrosted first. Then I sprinkled some Cookshack rub on them and put them in the smoker between 200-225 with about 1 piece of 3 oz's of Hickory. I had used some apple but hickory I like best. My wife likes the apple. I tell her, "hey, I'm the captain of this ship". Both bags fill up the smokette completely perfectly. They are done in 1 hour and 45 minutes. Now,,,this is what I have found that works for me. A variation,,,,After 1 hour and 30 minutes I open the smoker up and throw about 4 thin slices of hickory in there to really throw the smoke to it and brown the outside and I turn it up to 250. I do that for about 1/2 to 45 mins.or so because I've let some heat out and boy then I open them up and they are nice and brown on the outside and smoked but not too much on the inside.

My neighbor came over when I got done with this and I gave him a sample and I told him, "who's your daddy now"!!! Eeker He couldn't believe it. It was great

Good stuff and what's really nice is it will fill a large crock perfectly if you're going to a pot-luck or whatever.

The first time I did this one we were going to a pot luck and instead stayed home and ate the chicken with my neighbors.

Wow,,,,I've really said a lot. I'm just glad to help a new guy because I am fairly new and struggled a little at first. I just want to see you have fun with it and have success. Keep notes and don't forget to send flowers to Smokin on Fathers Day.....

Sharing the love,,,,,,,,,,,Iowa Man Big Grin
Gregory, great to see another Bakersfield smoker! You'll get alot of good info on this forum. All you have to do is listen and keep notes on each of your efforts. I've had great results with mine. . Ever try the Prime Cut at Stockdale & Gossford for butts or brisket?Costs a couple of bucks more and have to order a few days in advance, but worth it. Good luck and have fun.
Since Tri-Tip is very common in CA I'll post my last attempt.

I got two 3.5-3.8 Tri-Tip's at Ralph's for 1.19 per pound... I injected them with 2 parts olive oil, one part cider vinegar and a portion of worchestire.... Bout an 1/8 or so....

I used the rest of my injection liquid and refilled the amounts enough to create enough for marinade. I added a fair amount of CS rib rub and tossed them both in a 2G ziplock. You all have those right?

After a few hours I put them in at 220 with a couple chunks of hickory till they hit 140 internal. Absolutely perfect. Perfectly pink and perfectly delicious.

What a great way to make a gourmet meal from a 1.19 a pound cut of meat.
Best I've seen for tri-tip in my area for quite a while has been on sale for $1.99.

I swear, cows must be getting to be an endangered species or something. $8.99/lb for rib-eye?! $5.99 for flank steak? Whasn't that trash two years ago???

I swear, I'd give my left...you know what...to be able to open up a real butcher shop around these parts. The I could buy a mondo CS and claim it as a business expense...that, and a Klose pit!

There I go, dreaming again...

-joe
tjr,
I asked the meat cutter at the local Publix about tri-tip and he basically confirmed your statement. He indicated that it is a top round tip with the fat cap left on. He also said anytime I wanted one to just call ahead and ask for that and they would set one aside. I got the impression that the regional difference is the trimming of the fat cap. However he may have been feeding me a bunch of "bull".
Richard
Actually, I think there is at least one national standard - there's USDA item numbers. I think whole sirloin tip is item 185 or maybe 186 (difference is that 186 is trimmed), and tri-tip is a sub section, item 185D trimmed or 185C untrimmed. But these might be wrong. Did someone once remark that they had seen little digits like these hidden away on retail labels? or was that something else?
You're correct tjr, the 185c is with the fat left on, and the 185d is defatted. I have not seen these numbers referenced on retail cut packaging before, but it sure would make life easier for the consumer since it seems butchers have different names for certain cuts based on geography. I too would like to hear from anyone who knows of a chain or other that prints this code on their products. Cool
I've found tri-tip happenstance before, and I agree, it is a great cut, although it is usually pretty light.

I did one or two indirect on my Weber gas cooker, and they roast up real nice. Just gotta slice 'em against the grain.

Man, I'm on to something here. The butcher at the commissary (grocery store on a military base) loves to sell fresh pork chops CHEAP! Heck, I buy them by the pair for a couple of dollars a pack, and they are excellent on the grill. I'm thinking I will ask him to saw (bone in) a couple extra thick, maybe 1 3/4, and try them for a couple of hours in the CS.

We have a joint in town (an excellent one, I might add), that is the "home of the giant chop". Something to aspire to at home, no doubt. Still haven't figured out their dipping sauce, but it is jam-up.

Expanding my BBQ culture base,

Mark
Going to try a Tri Tip this weekend. I could not find one anywhere so I went to my local butchershop to order a couple of them.

He was like "Nobody does that around here. Are you sure you know what you want?"

After explaining what I was going to do he was almost as enthused as I am. They should be in today. I just printed off a recipe so I’m anxious to get started.
Smiler

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.