Skip to main content

Well, I was wrong. I THOUGHT I made fabulous Q. I have had my Smokette for almost 9 yrs now and I know "how it works". I recently "stumbled" onto this forum and I "lurk" almost everyday. I am preparing, as I am the host, for a motorcoach rally here and I am cooking "Q" for 25 coaches (50 people) Each year I host this rally I hand out something to cook with, chili spice mix was first yr, rub was last yr, and this year it is "Q" sauces, canned 36 jars today. That will be another post. So I thought I would "test" a few new things. BUT I just got done cooking a butt using some of the recipes from this forum. As a result the "Q" has taken to a whole new level. Just a few thoughts:

The infamous BUTT GLAND, turns out I have been removing it all along and did not have a clue I was doing so. Heck I checked the post/pictures 5 times to be sure it was gone! Cool Its just all that "stuff" in a Butt gotta go!

I used a rub that I found on the forum and it did very nice job. My "other" rub which many neighbors like, and my son insists I send to him in Colorado for his elk,venison, while very good, (wife thinks it is so so) was replaced this time. I went a little heavier (than normal) on the brown sugar as a result the bark was good and very tasty.

I used Smokin's Pulled Pork and Serving Sauce. The result was nothing less than terrific. I did use it when I pulled the butt (first time I have used such a sauce) and the result was off the chart! Wink

While being from the Carolinas, I am not a true fan of mustard sauce, WELL, Prisonchef's mustard sauce is nothing less than great. If you like mustard sauce. I made a "whole batch" of mustard sauce (from the forum) prior to Prisonchef's. After trying Prisonchef's I tossed the other! Eeker

The SWEET AND SMOKEY BBQ SAUCE from the 04 Cookshack recipe book (thanks everyone) is very tasty. My wife actually likes it which is amazing. I did kick it up a bit with some habeneros that I grew, dried, chopped, for my neighbor, who can't understand how I can cook BBQ, put in and go to bed! He does'nt have a clue, the old drum smoker he uses he has to tend for hrs & hrs & hrs!

While I probably won't be competing on the BBQ circut (I got my hands full with the Chili thing) I for one can appreciate the information on this forum. I think that this forum is one of the most comprehensive, informative, "nice" forums on the internet. This is a tribute to COOKSHACK, Smokin, Tom, PrisonChef, Hippie, etc (sorry if I missed anyone this is not the Oscars) Each of these guys (and girls) give an enormous amount of time and TO PROVIDE A BASELINE TO START from eliminating ALOT OF trial and error in the advise they give. Yet are forth comming with the "good stuff". That is hard to come by.

Thank you all! Newbies, take note, follow the recipes and go from there you can't go wrong!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Smokin, I did years ago but I promise I did not inhale! Big Grin

Actually, I have done that hence the name "SMOKEHOUSE CHILI" but as many who compete know you don't necessarily cook what you like, you cook for the judges. Generally, speaking the judges have not made that quantum leap yet. So at home sometimes there is a hint of smoke, liquid smoke, and other chilis will will give it the that "what is that" smokey flavor. That was my question the other day regarding chili powders.

By the way my neighbor made a special trip by today to rave about the "Q" sauce. Evidently, it was a topic at the lunch counter as well. I DID GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE..He has the link to the site prolly will join.

Thanks again to all that put soo much into this site.
good lord scott i don't know what to say. kinda embarraressed being put in with tom and okie and the others but sure am glad you liked the mustard sauce. keep coming around these guys on this forum really helped me out a bunch and everyone really pulls for the other guy Big Grin
jack

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.