Skip to main content

I've only had my cookshack for a couple of months, but felt it needed a decent home... took me about 5 hours to make - mostly made of Western Red Cedar. Not only do I have storage for wood and needed items, I can now stand up when dealing with the important job of handling the goods!

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Very nice! One word of warning though. I kept finding a puddle of grease/fat under my CS. Drove me crazy looking for a leak until I happened to hold my disposable aluminium drip pan up one night and I noticed a thousand tiny points of light as the light from my porch poked through holes that were near invisible to the eye. I don't baste, so it must be the salt. I just don't want you to have to clean up a mess like I had on my deck. That thar house is way to purty.
Good feedback on the drip issue; I've been thinking about just getting a small baking tray to put underneath the cookshack rather than a disposable aluminum tray; that way I just scrape-off the drippings into my kitchen garbage after each use and pop the tray in the dish washer. Saves money in the long run...

I've also thought of putting a larger tray that even the CS legs would fit inside - along with the smaller tray, so the larger one would act more as "contingency" drip pan in case I either forgot the smaller one or drippings overspilled for some reason - it would be easy to if I can find a tray that the whole CS unit with fit on.

Thanks again for the positive responses!
That is a great looking shack Rod. Now all you have to do is take your smoker out, and take out your wood and those paper towels as well. Then load it in your truck and bring it to Ohio and set it in my back yard!
I'll say thank you. Feed you before you drive back to Oregon, and put you on my Christmas card mailing list! Is it a deal?
BBQ_Rod
Maybe you should use the steel underneath. I understand that acids react with aluminum. That was one of the Alzheimers scares, because of the reaction of tomatoes with aluminum foil. They leave little holes in the foil. I doubt you'd get Alzheimers but you would get leaks if that's the case. Maybe a nice marble slab underneath. LOL
I'll fight Geiyser over it!!!! We'll take you to Disneyworld!
Peggy
Rod,

That's really beautiful.

What other wood work have you done? It's nicer than my first house-- bigger too. When you get back from Disneyworld and are on your way home from Ohio, perhaps you could drop by Salt Lake. I'll feed you, put you on my Christmas list and take you for a flight in my powered parachute.

What do you think?

Hook
In the back of the cookshack directly underneath the roof is a one inch vent that runs the width of the "shack". Since smoke rises, I put the vent at the highest point. It's a decent approach as there's no way rain can come through just underneath the rook.

It's also difficult to see from the photo, but the vertical cedar wood isn't airtight - so there are quite a few places where there are 1/16" to 1/8" gaps. So I can close the doors in the winter time and there's plenty of air flow.
This puppy is well insulated. None of the outside ever gets too hot to touch. I leave my Taylor digital thermometer sitting on top of mine. The Taylor has a plastic body and hasn't the slightest hint of warpage - still looks brand new! I see absolutely no problem with encasing it in wood. Rod did an excellent job of designing and building the unit above. My kudos to him again!
WW: Can't tell for sure, but odds are very high they are not permanent, and they do not have holes behind them. Those probe bodies have magnets on the base. They are just like fridge magnets, settin there. The probe wires are fed through the top vent hole, typically, where they either read the chamber temp, and/or the internal meat temp. Probes are not attached in the pic. Hope that helps.
woodburner is right on; these are Taylor probes I got from Target. Magnets on the back - very convenient. When I smoke, I have one probe (not shown) that goes into the meat, the other probe monitoring the oven temp. The probes would go in through the exist smoke hole in the top of the Smokette.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.