Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Do a search on Smokin Tex in the forums, there's a lot of comments. You can just search "smokin tex" and "all open forums".

ST owners don't own a CS and vice versa, so it's hard for anyone to compare.

The ST is made overseas and CS has exceptional Customer Service, but ST owners in the forum talk very highly of what they have.
I told my family I wanted a cookshack and they bought me a ST instead and said it was bigger .... blah, blah. He is what I can say. The Service from them was GREAT. I did send some emails to plus called Cookshack and they we also great. I got my unit plugged it in, threw on a pork butt and let it go. Did not quite cook it long enough but it was still great. I did a chicken with too much smoke (my bad) still good though. I did ribs yesterday and I must say that they were the best I and others in my family have EVER had and we grill alot. Today my first Brisket is in the ST so we will se what happens at dinner time. I have no experience cooking in a cookshack but did look at one and it is very well made. I am sure it cooks just as easily and well as my ST does. Either way you will be happy IMO. The ST does give a few more accessories like a cover and rib hooks. The CS is a made in USA product which may be a plus. This forum is the best however and I bought a bunch of wood, spice and sauce from CS because of it. All those things have been good too.
Just start 'q-in
Mike
Wow Smokin' - you feeling ok? I like my SmokinTex, have never had a reason to use their Customer Service. But from what I've heard here and elsewhere, customer service leaves a lot to be desired! As I've said before, if I had known about CookShack before I would had definitely bought it. Reading the posts here, CS customer service is second to none!

"Yes" FishDog, the ST is a little cheaper. If you can do it, go with Cookshack. They definitely treat their customers right and will take good care of you. From a ST owner (with no complaints)...
Actually if you are comparing the Smokin Tex in price to the Cookshack take a look at America's Best Barbecue.

They got the Cookshack SM008 with black paint finish at $397 including shipping. It came with wood, sauce and 2 different rubs too. And the service was great from America's Best Barbecue when I ordered me a new Smokette last week and it took 4 business days to receive the Cookshack.

The Smokin Tex is $459 (includes free shipping) for their painted model.

For lower price than the painted Smokin Tex you can order the stainless steel Cookshack unit SM009 from America's Best Barbecue for $457.

The Smokin Tex does have stainless steel grills (like 2 more) and the grills are an inch or so bigger...thats about it. The Smokin Tex users again are very happy for the most part with their smokers, its not a bad unit.

But I would go with Cookshack ( I am not associated with CS in any way). Cookshack will offer you great service if you buy from their distributors too, and that is what America's Best Barbecue is. Cookshack stands by their product bar none, you cant beat their efforts on customer service.

America's Best, American made, better price...your choice.

Preston D
i spoke to st about sending a unit here to oz as the oz cs dealer in australia is overpricing cs (the aussie manufacturer makes his own smokehouses, talk about a conflict of interest!!!!??). st i discovered worked for or with cs at one time apparently. he left, then had copys of cs made in china. trust is basic. i bought the overpriced cs.
I own the SmokinTex and I am very happy with it. I decided to go with it over the Cookshack because

1. I got a great price when SmokinTex auctioned off a couple of new units on Ebay.
2. I liked the extra Stainless Steel racks and the SS grease pan.

The Cookshack is a great smoker too - its just depends on what you are looking for. I did call customer service at SmokinTex and their service was fine. Cookshack does have this forum and that is a big plus as well.

As far as stealing ideas, I see it more on the lines of improvements. If no one could improve a product, we would only have one type of car.

And yes, they are built in China. if that is a problem, I would buy the Cookshack.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.