Skip to main content

I loaded up my 50 today with a monster pork butt, and a nice size brisket. Put the butt on the bottom, and the brisket over that. The butt is at least a 15 pounder, bought it fresh at the morning market. The brisket, ( my second one ) is about a 8-9 pounder this time.
I've done this size before, but never together. The butt usually takes me 11-14 hours. The 1st brisket I did was just a touch smaller and took a full 11 hours to get it up to 180. I put them in at 9:00 pm tonight expecting to add my racks of ribs tomorrow am at around 6. The temp sure climbed really fast. After 4 hours the brisket was up to 175, and the pork but up to 160. I know I've seen some posts on how full or empty the smoker is affecting the cook times. Is there any other way to know other than taking notes? Also, I just turned down the smoker to 185. I had it set at 225. I'm a bit worried about heading off to bed, will the butt/brisket hit their temps real soon? And if they do, is it OK to hold at that temp for a few more hours? Will they get dried out badly?
When I get up at 6 to put the ribs in, If I've hit my temps should I just pull them, wrap them and hold them until lunch at noon? Sorry for so many questions, usually my timing never seems to come out early.
Thanks in advance, Steve.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I did the same thing not too many nights ago. Temp jumped to over 100 fairly quickly and I was afraid to go to bed. Instead, I cranked the cooking temp down to 150 (140? I've slept since then) and went to bed. At 6 the next morning I cranked it back up to 225 and I couldn't tell a minutes worth of difference in the outcome. Still moist, tender and flavorful.
That butt must have come off a 700 lb sausage sow.

I'd be shocked if it got up to 195� in 16 hrs.

At 185�,it will never come up to temp.

You could leave it until Monday.

I'd open up and check the temps in several places with an instaread therm.

The brisket is going to take 8hrs +,no matter what.

At 185� ,there is no way you will dry out either.

Check the internals .
Ok, ribs are in. After 9 hours, the butt was 168, the brisket was 167. Everything looks good. I'm doing the ribs for 5 hours, that seems to be the time for us when the meat gets to be not quite fall off the bone, but pulls off when we eat it. In about 4 hours time, I'll wrap the brisket with the finishing sauce and throw it in the kitchen oven at 150 for an hour. For the brisket I'm following the championship brisket recipe of 2001, did the first one that way and it was fantastic. take care all.
Steve.
Yep, turned it back to 225 when I threw the ribs in. Just took out the butt, wrapped it and into the cooler. Hit 190 at about 13 hours. Took out the brisket as well, wrapped it, and will put it in the oven to hold at 150. The ribs have about 1 more hour to go. Thanks again to everyone.
Steve.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.