Skip to main content

I've read through the various posts on cleaning my Smokette grills, and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but my grills are developing rust spots after only 5 months of use. Here's what I've been doing... I spray the grills with Pam before cooking. After cooking, I soak them in dishwashing liquid (Dawn) for 10 minutes or so, and then scrub them off with a ScotchBrite pad. My Calphalon non-stick pans recommend using a Scothbrite, so they can't be very abrasive, but all of my grills now have rust spots.

What am I doing wrong?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ron, 'til somebody smarter 'n me jumps in with the right answer I'll give 'er a go. Sounds to me like you've rubbed the plating off of the grills and are now down to the base metal which is copper. I think that Scotchbrite pad may be more abrasive than you think. We have a passel o' Calphalon and they recommended using SOS pads when we got it. Calpnalon's hard to hurt cause the Teflon's right in the metal.

Anyway, that's my two bits worth

Don
Ron, the plating on the grills is the only thing I don't like about the CS.. It is NOT stainless and it is NOT chrome according to Tony, or whoever the guy was that I talked to. I'm sure it is simply a cost issue with CS.

Scotch brite is quite abrasive.. they use large scotch brites to strip floors on buffing machines. Take a piece of chrome.. like a bumper and I think you would see scratches on it after rubbing with the green scotchbrite... and chrome is quite a bit harder than what is on the grills.

That said, I'm down to copper and steel in some places on my grills. It doesn't affect the cooking. In fact, I doubt any of the log burners
have anything but steel/iron grills.. they get a good coating of whatever and just keep on cooking.

Don't worry about it.. it'll cook just fine. Enjoy the product you turn out.
Ron

My grills were toast about 8 months after I bought them as well

I think the size of those in the Smokette are quite standard.

Best to simply replace them.

Posts I've read have said the "orangish" tint isn't harmful... I've continued to use mine. But new ones are on the agenda soon.
I use greased lighting for all my cleanup.
spray it on and watch the grease roll off.
no scrubing needed just wipeoff with a damp soft cloth. works great on rack holders also.
since i clean comm. exhaust hoods for a living i have found this to be the best cleaner for the money. make sure to rince well.
im sure you will find this to be a lot easier and faster way to clean your racks
j.foley
Just for the record, I'll defend CS on this one, but a ST is cheaper because it's made in China. The customer service for ST isn't often discussed, but I think the CS for Cookshack is will regarded. And of course this forum is hosted by CS so we'll give them credit for having a forum that everyone can use.

The only time the grills are an issue is when someone scrubs them to the point of the plating coming off. While it's a known issue, it's not a problem if you use something more gentle to clean the grills with.

If the only issue is the grills, I'd suggest CS for the responsiveness from the company. Since I'm not a paid CS employee, who does this for free, that's just my opinion, but I don't hear a lot of positive comments about ST other than the cheap price.

Regardless, ST owners are certainly welcome here, just expect me to defend the "turf" when we talk about Smokers. I know and respect the CS company for a lot, so that certain means I'm loyal to them.

now it's time to jump down off my soap box Big Grin
I'm still trying to get over the guy who puts his in the bathtub. Gives me the heebee-jeebes. Now I wouldn't go sharing that piece of info with your BBQ guests--or the local health dept. Spend $10 and get a plastic tub to soak them in.

Generally speaking, the more distance you put between where you wash your butt and where you smoke your butt, the better.
I worked my Smokette like a "borrowed mule" for six years in a salt storm,on the beach in south Fl.

I used most of the approaches above.

Greased Lightning works well.

I'd cook thirty pounds of product,3-5 days a week.

Yep,you'll find some ruboff.

Does that affect anything?

I haven't found it.

This is not a Teflon skillet.

It's A SMOKER.

Gave mine to my boys,who are cattle ranchers.

They work it like a "borrowed mule".

Same racks.

Clean it up a little,spray it with some Pam, and go cook something.

This is not a paid endorsement from the company,since they are happy I'm not abrasive.{Sometimes}

Worry less about the cosmetics,after awhile,you'll agree.

Have fun & enjoy.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.