Skip to main content

I need a little more clearance on my wheels of my 009.. when I lean the unit backward to roll it, the top of the wheels scrape the bottom of the back panel. Is the panel easily removed; and assuming I didn't grind more than say 1/8th of an inch off, is there any real down side?

The unit is new but I'm not concerned enough to "send it" anywhere. I'd rather keep using it and fix it at home. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike C
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

SmokinO

I sent an email to CS and got a very quick response. They indicated no problem removing the back (two self tapping screws) and no problem grinding a little clearance.

They suggested I try pushing UP on the back after removing the two self tapping screws to see if any grinding is really necessary. Very apologetic about the inconvience and said definately re-contact them if I have any trouble doing this myself and they'll make things right.

Since I use to work in a machine shop, I don't anticipate any trouble. Its Friday, and its been a tough week. I'll give this a go this weekend and report back.

Thanks
Mike C
Okay, I've been slow to report back... but all went well. As it turns out there are 4 self tapping screws. Well, maybe they were self tapping when they were new, they're not the second time around. But not a problem. Turns out the back was down about 3/8 of an inch from a fully pushed up position. This caused the bottom edge to rub on the wheels. I removed the screws, pushed the back UP, marked the new hole locations and drilled 4 new holes in the body of the smoker. That stainless still is very hard metal. But all went well and now the unit tips back and rolls anywhere, as it was intended to. This Spring, I'll make a raised table to put it on, but now, in our Winter, I have to roll it out and back in when I want to use it.

Thanks to all, hope this info helps someone else.
Mike C

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.