Skip to main content

Just bought an Amerique this morning and taking it on its maiden voyage (seasoning). It will not recognize that the probe is not inserted and turns off after 1 minute or so and goes to hold. I plugged the probe in and set it outside to try to fool it but it keeps shutting off after one minute. I have cook temp at 225 time at 4:00 per instructions 3 pieces of wood in the box.

In other words I'm ready but I can't get the Amerique to agree Smiler

Dave
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I tried the probe out in air then the metal shaft in some cool 80 degree or so water without any luck. I took off the back to see if there was a grounding issue on the probe. No luck on any of it.

When it powers up it shows OFF on cook time as if it sees the probe being inserted whether it is or isn't. It seems to think the probe is inserted and yet can't read it....

Dave
Hi Dave,

Did you set it to probe mode and set the probe temp?
Check page 8 of the manual.
http://www.cookshack.com/media/MN_066_Ver.06.3.pdf

Probe Cooking Mode
1. Insert the probe into the probe jack, then turn the On/Off switch to the on position.
The screen should display the word OFF in the time position.
2. Cook Temperature
To set the cook temperature, press and hold the temp button until the
controller beeps twice. Press the up or down arrows to adjust the cook
temperature (arrows must be pressed within two seconds of the two
beeps).
3. Probe Temperature
To set the probe temperature, press and hold the probe button until the
controller beeps twice. Press the up or down arrows to adjust the probe
temperature (arrows must be pressed within two second of the two
beeps).
4. Press the Start button to begin cooking.
The screen should display Temp and Probe Temp.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,
Brian E
Last edited by bembring
Having been a certified computer repair guy in a past life believe me I rebooted tried different outlets leave on 2 hours unplug 2 hours etc.

Finally I think I have a temporary fix so I can manualy cook. I took off the back checked the main board for a removable battery to clear settings when I noticed the probe plugs in to the main board. I disconnected the probe turned it on and wham NO PROBE flashed on my screen! I think I jumped a foot in the air!

So at least I can manually season the AQ and cook for tomorrow. I'm pretty excited at this moment. Woohoo!

Dave
Did my first amerique probe cook tonite. Set an eight pound buckboard bacon for 155 probe temp, cook temp 225. I expected it to be done in two and half hours, raised cook temp to 250. After six hours, probe read 153. Close enough. Thermapen verified, 153.

Looks like my machine works, but I sure would be on the phone to Cookshack if I thought it did not.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.