Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

WHEN CLOSED (IN WINTER) DO YOU THINK IT WILL BE TO WARM INSIDE THE SEARS SHED? THAT IS WITH THE SMOKER ON. I AM FROM BUFFALO AND WAS LOOKING FOR A WAY TO SMOKE OUTSIDE AND KEEP MY 009 SNOW PROOF YOUR IDEA LOOKS GREAT. ALSO HOW WOULD YOU MOUNT THE STACK TO THE TOP OF THE SHED OR WOULD YOU PLACE IT ON THE FLANGE ON TOP OF THE SMOKER.
That looks like a great idea! The CS retains the majority of it's heat so I don't see there be any problem with the shed melting. Might get a bit smoke stained but what the heck. Hmmmm wonder if you could cold smoke in the shed while the CS is working?
Do the doors seal pretty good? Do you need a intake on the shed? Cool
I'd be cautious about the airflow and the gap between the top of the "cup" and the vent, just look at it when you make the mod.

Of course, you'll still need to empty that cup. So why not just wipe the hole out every so often?

The smoker will work fine in a shed if you give it adequate ventilation. The outside of the smoker won't get hot because of the insulation it has, but it needs plenty of air.

Smokin'
I think you could certainly use the shed to keep it away from the weather.

The only issues you'll really have are:

1. Smoke. Where will it go? You can't attach a vent to the smoker direct, but you could put something slightly above (and not touching) to help direct the smoke away.

2. Temp. The outside temp shouldn't affect, especially if it's in a shed UNTIL you open the door.

3. Weather. You get to and from the shed will be about the only problem to worry about with that.

I'm sure the gang here in the forum and help figure out how you can use this 365 days a year.

Smokin'
I left a 1/4 inch gap under the cup, the cup is about 1.5 inches in diameter so it will let much more air to the vent hole than little 1/2 inch hole can possibly let out.

Tomorrow I am going to round up a 3 inch hole saw to cut the hole in the roof for the vent pipe, I plan on just sliding the pipe thru the roof and using a little silicone to seal the roof and again to seal the pipe to the top of the smoker. I will keep the pipe short so ther will be no drafting issues.

I plan to use the hole saw to cut an additional hole in the back to allow air in when the doors are closed. I can't forsee any problens smoking with the doors closed in the winter.

I have always wiped the smoke hole before every smoke and still got the grey stuff about 80% of the time, I dont know if its humidity or what but the one day it was 95 outside and I still got it. Thats why I added the cup. I just diddnt like all the questions when i pulled the meat out of the smoker Smiler
Rich,

Note, Smokin's item #1 on his August 4, 1:02pm post. Not mounting a vent directly to the top of the smoker has been a topic many times on this board. Do a search - it's a problem. You don't want to do it. There must be a gap.

But, I do like the shed you've purchased. I'm sure you'll work something out.

Happy Trails
I had this very same idea with my Smokin-Tex. But if I remember correctly, my handle would stick out one inch and not be able to close the doors. I was going to purchase the same Suncast cabinet so I can smoke during bad weather. As far as vents are concerned, you could always add those ROUND eve vents. Just use a hole saw and push the round vents in near the bottom, that's what I was planning. I'm not sure on the outside deminsion of the SmokinTex compared to the Cookshack.

I may still either try it or build my own out of cedar like one member did a while back...his was very nice!!!
I loaded up my Smokette with Salmon and again with chicken parts last week--didn't bother with my trusty soup can since it was so hot outside (as per Cookshack's recommendation). Got the unslightly grey spots on both. Guess I'll use the soup can even in the summer. Only problem is it makes a mess on the top of the smoker. Of course I'd rather have the moisture condensing on the top of the smoker than on the meat.

I'll be anxious to hear how your mod works, and how easy/difficult it will be to empty the cup--or if the cup runneth over.

Keep us posted.
I made some jerky yesterday, and made the same assumption as Dennis since it was hot and dry, and I ended up with some very ugly jerky under the vent, all the way down to the third shelf!

I normall put a metal colandar on top of the Smokette, but it does leave a pool of condensation...
Wow!! Looks great! What's the cost differential of the Cookshack cover vs what you paid for the shed? Not much, I'd guess.

One thing that's missing--I'd put a slide-out board (like in many kitchens) under the shelf your smoker is resting on. It will catch all the juices when adding/removing meat, preserving your deck finish. Something to think about...
Good idea on the shelf Smiler

I have the smokestack loose so I can slide it up and down as needed, I was always ending up with about 1/2 - 3/4 of my wood chunks unburned (still great Q) but if I slide the stack down almost tight I can start the wood on fire, if I leave it up 6" it burns like it did beofer, if i put if down to about 3" from the tio of the smoker it burns all the chunks.
Overall I am very pleased with the shed although it could have been an inch deeper.
Hi Rich... Great job on the shed and grey spot mod. Do you know what the internal dimensions of the shed are? The box I looked at at Target only lists the external dimensions. I have an 008 with the mathcing cart, and I don't think the cart would fit, but If you have the internal dims, that would be great!
I consider the traeger more of a smoker grill although it will smoke you do have to work to keep things moist on the longer smokes whereas the cookshack keeps it moist and almost foolproof Smiler
The traeger cranks out some really great stuff as well, i really like the traeger / cookshack combo.
I am still wanting a Kamando though.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.