Skip to main content

I tried searching on this but did not really get a true answer. I have used my AQ a couple of times now. After the cook the wood in the wood box is still whole and the bottom of the wood is black. I was thinking that the wood would break down more? Am I wrong? Also If not can I use the same wood again? Since it's in whole pieces and not cooked through so to speak? I have currently used hickory I think that is what comes with it. Do different woods act differently? Sorry about all the questions just new to all this smoking!

The last thing I cooked was ribs they came out pretty good I thought for a first time. I cooked them for around 5.5 hrs pretty tender almost fall off the bone. But, like I said the wood is still whole chunks.

A few last things I have the smoke box opening right to left. And I do not notice a lot of smoke when I am cooking but, I can smell the wood. Should I be concerned with this? It very well could be something that I am doing wrong?

Thank you,

Lost in Smoke!
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Kyounge,

It's still dark here in CA.
When the sun comes up I will take a picture of the wood box position in my Amerique and post it.

Some time wood dosnt burn all the way to ash. I have noticed that when cold smoking cheese or with ribs
Have you had that happen after a longer cook like brisket or pork butt?
I have always thrown wood away after one use.
The wood that comes with the smoker is hickory.
Last edited by bembring
Thanks for the help bembring! I am going to smoke a small brisket today almost 6 lbs. while I go down and watch the football game tonight. I look forward to your pic. thank you again. If it does not burn to ash should I worry? Or just except that it works as designed?

thank's

kyounge
You want to make sure you fit the wood box all the way to the back--slightly lift it and slide all the way back. I did not have the box correctly positioned the first time and had similar issue as you experienced. Since correctly positioning the box, wood has smoked to ash.

Regards,
Will

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.