Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think a fair bit of the owners out here have WSM, ECB, Offsets that they use.

Those that do, seem to have a preference for what they like to do in a CS and what they like to do in others.

Me, I have my 150, traded one 150 into a Pellet FE100, have a Genuswine and still have my original ECB from 1970something.
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one out there with multiple modes of cooking. My wife thinks that one grill/smoker is all that is necessary. Now that I'm talking about building a big offset and possibly a big baby(2 - 55 gal. barrels) she thinks I am nuts and can't imagine why I would need more.
I use my offset way more than my cookshack, I like the flavor of food cooked over wood better. I use my smokette for pork butts when I don't have all day to spend watching a fire, also use it to make smoked salmon and shrimp. I am still trying to make a good batch of ribs in my smokette, but to be fair I havn't tried that many slabs in it. I don't care for whole chickens done in the smokette, they come out great but not quite the taste/texture I am after.
All that said, I don't plan on giving up my cookshack any time soon.
I actually do everything in a CS Wink but now I'm testing a lot in the FE for CS.

I do have a preference for chicken and ribs in my new FE/CS since I do them in the 275 range, but I like my chicken in a CS if I don't want the skin on OR I plan on finishing on a grill for presentation.

The ability of the CS's to keep a high humidity level are great.

I prefer salmon and other fish in a CS.

Briskets and butts come out great in my CS.

About the only reason I don't use my CS is for higher heat ranges and maybe a little more dry heat.

And I have a Genuswine for sale, not using it at all, now that I have the pelletcooker.

Genuswine for sale
Old thread, but I'm glad to see other folks use different implements too. I've never had much luck with spares on the Smokette. I am sure if I took the time I could get it down.

This weekend I did a shootout for an article. I BBQ'd spares on a Weber and my offset, world of difference. I obviously don't know how to do ribs on the charcoal Weber, but in the process I did turn out the best ribs I've ever done.

I love the Cookshack, but I use it primarily for smoking.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.