Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Some simple preventive maintenance will solve it.

Sometimes it happens. It's just condensation getting on the metal and then dripping down with some of the seasoning / smoke from previous cooks.

Just clean the hole periodically. Some people use a Plumbers tool/brush to scrub it out.

Welcome to the forum
THank you for your reply. Cleaning very often is what I have been doing along with putting a tin can inside on the top rack to catch the drippings. The taste of this on the meet is very bad. So I take what you are saying is...this is common and I have not problems with the smoker.

Amy
I've never had the problem but I frequently (monthly?) cleaned it with a tool.

Not it's not a smoker problem.

Duke's solution works too. A LOT of it is dependent on what you're cooking and the humidity inside the smoker and outside the smoker. It's just condensation and yes, depending on what it brings with it, it could be nasty tasting.

Check a local hardware store, but this is similar to what I use:

Amy,

I haven't had that problem with my smokette and I have used it for 22 hr. smokes. Although low amounts of meat load and usually hot dry temps

How much meat are you cooking and at what temps when you see this problem? Do you live in a very humid area? Are you poking a hole in the aluminum foil in the bottom so air flows through the smoker?
Could be a little humid. The last time I smoked was winner in the garage, door open, had all racks loaded with deer jerky..temp around 180-200. All other times it was long smokes with one brisket 180-225 or so.
I am trying some ribs(only two sides)tonight. I will make sure to clean vent well and will be out on patio in the warm Texas heat.

Thanks all!

Little side question, I will be using apple shreaded wood that comes in the bag. I have no wood chunks. Any suggestions on amount comparison?

Amy
Amy, are you referring to wood chips? If so, these smaller particles produce a huge amount of smoke early in the cook and do not last very long. If possible, head to an Academy Sports store or even a wally world and get some chunks. I've never been able to achieve the flavor I want with chips. I am sure someone on here can suggest how to use chips...I just don't like 'em.
Yes, I guess they are chips...very little I guess kinda like shavings. Our local Walmart does not have apple. I had heard of these little chips burning up fast, so I soaking them overnight in water. The only chunks I have are hickory and Mesquite. Many have recommended only a fruit wood. May be I'll try Mesquite instead.
Thanks,
Amy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.