Skip to main content

I just got a new sm150 after having a Klose 20X 36 offset. I got it with the new IQ3 probe that tells the smoker when to stop cooking at a preset temperature but the probe is back ordered. I did the seasoning of the smoker for 4 hours with about 4 OZ of Hickory and the smoker gave off no smoke. The smoker did get up to temperature but the timer started counting down as soon as it started to warm up to the cooking temperaure. I would expect the cooking time to start after it gets up to temperature? I cooked a 3.5 lb chicken last night with 1 small chunk of hickory and I think it tasted over smoked. The wood did go to ashes however with food in the smoker. I think I need some advice. btw - read to operating book and achives.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

doc,
I have an sm150 also. Mine doesn't have a probe. It's a bit older I guess.
You don't need to use much wood in it to get a good smoke flavor. Do read your book. I can use a small (2 oz. piece) of wood in mine and get plenty of smoke flavor in 2 chickens, rack of ribs and a pork butt. You can load a lot of meat in it if you think it out.
Sometimes, I use Candy Weavers pellets (BBQERs Delight) to make a little pouch and that gives me a good smoke flavor also. I get the best smoke flavor when I use a low temperature then bump the heat up a bit.
You'll love it once you've worked with it a bit.
Keep up your practice, read your instructions, and keep coming here with your questions and tell us what you've discovered.
Nice to meet you.
Peggy
I don't have the new one, but the old one was a simple time that started from the time you hit start. It does come up to temp reasonably fast. I never used the presets, I always just set the time for max hours and let it go.

You can test that easy enough, when you turn it on, does it start counting down or what does it do?

If in doubt, just call CS tomorrow and they'll explain.

As for the no smoke, that could be the wood. Did you look at it after the smoke, did it ignite, turn black, do nothing?

I would experiment and test the cooker before doing anything, set the temp and use a remote probe to check the temp that it's working okay.
doc,
On my SM150, apparently they've come out with a newer version, my timer starts when I set it. I set the temperature, then the time. It will go on a hold temperature of 140 at the end of the time set. That's a good thing in the eyes of the state inspectors in Florida. They were very impressed at the hold temp. You can also set the amount of time you want it held.
Check your probe thermo before you trust a big chunk of meat to it.
Like Tom says, "good q2u"
Peggy
They called today to say that the new probe is being sent out today. Will be able to cook to a preset temp and go to the hold temp. like auto pilot. Cant wait. cooking 3 chickens now with the new spicy chick rub. I am amazed that it uses so little wood compared to the old offset that I was using. I wish there was more of a manual for recommend wood amounts since there is a strong tendency to oversmoke! Still learning.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.