Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

G'Day,

Lived in Canberra for two years (1991 - 1993) and had to build my own smoker.

For the CS, the heat comes from below and the idea is that the ice helps keep the temp from building too hot and cooking something. Cheese and fish are examples.

It creates a barrier between the heat element and the ideams higher in the smoker.

Smokin'
I think the folks using the CS baffle kit use a pretty big block of ice essentially on top of a metal pan over the heat.

If you read my long story about the kettle grill, I'm piping the smoke into a separate chamber where I've got a small amount of ice to counteract the remaining heat in the smoke. I expect that in winter, when air temperature is around 30-40F, I won't need any ice. In the good old days, stuff like ham and bacon was smoked in winter by a smoldering fire in a small, closed building that stayed cool just because it was winter.

Smoke-cooking (or barbecuing, but let's not get into that) uses temperatures hot enough to cook the food along with the smoke to flavor it. In the Cookshack, that'd be around 200-250F as opposed to around 75F for cold smoking, which is intended to flavor food without cooking it.

So, if you're interested in American style ribs, brisket, butt, chicken, and that sort of thing, you'll have to figure out how to get temperatures around 200F and higher.
Would like to find out exact process for cold smoking Finnan Haddie. I am a real novice at this, but I really miss this wonderful fish dish and I can't get it anywhere near here! So trying to find out how to make my own! Need info on wood used, how to keep the temp down (pictures would really help!) My son just got a new smoker and would love to try this.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.