Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I can testify about cold weather smoking. Short and sweet the cookshack smoker works great in cold weather. I really don't notice any change in cook times either. When the temps are subzero you have to watch that the grease in the pan doesn't pile up to seal up the drain hole. Moving the drip pan around will eliminate this problem. Roger
We've got smokers using the 09 from Maine to WI to Alaska and everywhere in between. Never heard one of them complain about extended smoke times, wind, etc due to cold temps or anything else (besides hurricanes and tornados). My coldest smoke has been in 14 degree weather with 20 MPH wind. Never had a problem. That's a warm spell for MainelyDave. I forget what his cold temp was. Anyway, you don't need to go to the basement. I agree with others, your whole house will smell like smoke.
When I first found this forum I spent many hours looking at all the posts past and present. And I remember one post where the person smoked in the garage had made a hood and pipe vented outside. Even had pictures.

Another post the person stated he took his little smoker to hotels and opened the hotel/motel window and smoked in his room how he got away with it I dunno know.

I am trying to find the post where another guy traded BBQ to a carpenter who built him a cold smoker attachment for the top of his smokette that had pictures too. I wnated to see igf that has held up
I just added 12 x 24 foot onto my detached garage to make my "smok-a-torium". It is 12 x 14 inside with fridg, freezer, 3 hole stainless sink, plenty of cabinet and top space, stuffer, grinder, slicer, and smoker with range hood mounted 4 inches above smoker with visqueen draped down around smoker and I still get the "good" smokin' odor in the room. Not bad out there, but wouldnt want to live with it.

Here are some pics of my home away from home...

Last pic shows the smoker and range hood for venting. Still have the smell of smokin'....
I too live in New England....and hell...that's the MAIN reason I bought a Cookshack smoker! So I could BBQ all year round.

I've never had a problem with cooking times in the winter...always consistant.

My only regret is that I didn't have the money to buy the 5 shelf unit...but hey...the Smokette is still a big step up from a water smoker.
I used mine in the garage. The entire back wall of my garage is double pane sliding glass doors. All I did was open the garage door about 3 inches, turn on the ceiling fan and crack both sliders in the rear...went to bed. The garage smelled great for the next couple of days but all was fine.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.