Skip to main content

I bought a bag of pecan chunks from Academy, but it's leaving a lot of creosote buildup running down the walls, like black tar. I'm worried about it building up on the top of the smokette and dripping on the meat. What can I do about this? Do I need to buy different wood? They don't sell pecan on the Cookshack site. I've read post on the forum about gray water dripping on the meat. What is that caused from? Thanks .
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Slade, just my opinion, I would not use the wood if it were causing problems like that. I dont know how bad it is but if its "running down the walls", I would return or trash them. I have gone to pellets on my 09. You have a greater varity of woods to choose from and its much easier to use then the chunks. Candy sue on this forum has some good pellet options.
Smoke N Italy
It sounds to me like the pecan wood is not fully dried. You can lay it out on a hot sidewalk or piece of metal for a few days. That Houston hot sun will dry it out good. Green wood causes more creosote.

That brings up another question I have been meaning to ask.

Has anyone ever heard of using pecan hulls or walnut hulls for smoking? A few old timers around these parts use them.

Cool
hippie,
peggy trades our sour oranges and lemons with the neighbors for all the pecans we can pick up. for years that was all i would use in my bullet. guess that's why to this day i use a pecan pellet or smoke stix in my units since i developed my sauces and rubs around that taste. by the way these are whole nuts shells and all
jack
Slade,
Just wanted to touch base with ya. Academy is where I buy my pecan. Academy has the cheapest price around. No one can touch their prices as probably you already know. Maybe that bag of pecan wasn't cured. I go a long with what 'Hippie' advised. I have never had a problem with any of my pecan purchased there. Maybe it was a build up of burn-off from the previous owner. Just try burning other woods after a cleanup of the cresote, if any prevail? Good luck!

Smoky
Spring Texas
Keep on Smok'n Smiler
hippie,
they are hybrids and old ones at that. since they drop so many nuts at once they are a nuisance for my neighbor due to all the squirrels( i offered to solve that problem using peggy's air rifle but we both thought better of it). after we pick them up i just put the bag of them in the highest part in my workshop and they dry right out.
jack

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.