Skip to main content

Well I finally got my 08 today, came home from work so I could wait for the UPS guy who missed me yesterday, (no way was that happening again!). This is so cool, I have it seasoning right outside my window as I type. This city will never be the same! Waiting for the first little wift of smoke to sneak out of the vent is kinda like waiting for my first born! (My wife suggested naming the smokette Mikey, I agreed.) I SEE IT!!!! SMOKE!!!! You at Cookshack deserve a cigar! Gotta go and smell the smoke, bye!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I received my 008 yesterday and am seasoning it now. It has been on for 3 hours with the temperature set at 200�. I placed a thermometer, through the vent hole, approximately in the middle of the unit and it is registering 248�. I hope that my unit does not have a bad thermostat. I will be doing some ribs tomorrow as my first smoke.
Don't worry about the oven temp swings. Lots of threads about this in the forum. Actually, the more you use it and the more you load it up with meat the more the temp will stabilize.

What ever it is you are smokin', just load it in, set the temp and let'er go.

And definitely read the forum, read Smokin Okie's various guides shown at the top and enjoy. Nothing better than a CS.
I had large temperature swings when I seasoned my unit and the first few times I used my 009. Now when I set the temperature to 225 F, the unit gets up to about 213 F. I just compensate for the lower temperature. I actually prefer the lower temperature and like the nice and slow smoke. Even when I set the unit to 200 F, the unit will read about 185 F but I get plenty of smoke so I do not worry.

Make sure you get a dual remote temperature gauge and sit back and enjoy.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.