Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I clean my smoker after every use. I remove all foil, clean with lemon juice and then water. The grates are soaked in a $10 plastic cement tub as described my Smokenque...also use it to clean my grates on my grill..

I also wipe down the inside of my smoker with vinegar, this leaves an acidic surface residue to prevent any nasties.....they can't grow in an acidic environment.......

I very rarely scrape it down....

dan
Depending on what I smoke, I change the foil every couple of cooks. When I smoke salmon, I change every time. I put the racks in the dishwasher, they still look new. I have yet to scrape, wipe or wash the inside. I haven't seen a need for it yet. I have not cleaned the side rails either, they just look nice and seasoned. No bad smells at all.
We change the foil after every cook, and clean the bottom with "greased lighting." Soak and clean the racks and side supports after every use. Using our 008 for over 5 years, and have never cleaned the sides or doors.
Have found using the 18" Heavy Duty Reynolds Wrap works best on the bottom.
Y'ever see the pit in one of the 'realllly' old smokehouse restaurants? Or the racks? If it started out in the 30's as an 8 foot wide, by now it's only about 6 foot wide with all the black, charred build-up! (only slight exageration)

I figure unless you've found you're growing something weird and hairy in your smoker, only clean that which disgusts you...or maybe embarasses you when you show off your smoker to your friends Smiler
Agreed. All I have ever done during the 5+ years with my Smokette is throw out the foil, wipe out with paper towels, put the racks and grills in the dishwasher, put the woodbox back in, shut the door, put the cover on. It has never had any offensive odors. There is a name for it...WELL SEASONED.

Cool
Throw out the foil.

Scrape the "chunks" off

When I clean the grills, I put them in a pan to soak for 24 hours (my arthritisis makes it too hard to scrub) and the food soaks off, just a rub down with a soft pad.

I also scrub down the racks with a brass brush periodically just to keep chunks from collecting -- inbetween cleanings
I pull the foil off bottom and wood shield, that night before it cools too much. Sometimes it can be hard to pull that foil off the bottom if left in too long. I wipe any excess grease off the bottom and that is it.

The racks you can clean the next day or when ever. I usually clean them the next day. Hands down the best way to clean the racks is to soak them in hot water with a tablespoon of dishwasher detergent powder (not dish soap). Make sure you dissolve it and mix good, before throwing in the racks. After 10-15 minutes everything just wipes off. I use one of those green scrubbers. I use to throw in dishwasher, but it would never get everything off and I would be scrubbing anyway.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
If you have a problem with the foil being stuck because it set to long,I just warm smoker back up for a short peroid of time to loosen the bottom foil.I always use new foil with every smoke.

Yup, same here. I have seen some nasty stuff grow on that used foil. I don't know if I could turn on the smoker and not put anything in it. I am not sure I could do that to myself or my smoker. Smiler I think that is the way to do it. It will also allow you to wipe up any extra grease. Nice tip. Thanks
I replace foil as needed, about every 2 to 4 uses or if there is grease build up.
Use a good non steel grill brush (rust prevention) on grills each use. If there is is more build up than the brush can remove I throw grills in gas grill at start of warm up (high heat). Build up usually burns off in 10 to 15 min., you are ready to grill & have clean smoker grills.
A 4in. plastic painters scraper removes build up on sides or door.
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Smokin Larry:
I pull the foil off bottom and wood shield, that night before it cools too much. Sometimes it can be hard to pull that foil off the bottom if left in too long. I wipe any excess grease off the bottom and that is it.

The racks you can clean the next day or when ever. I usually clean them the next day. Hands down the best way to clean the racks is to soak them in hot water with a tablespoon of dishwasher detergent powder (not dish soap). Make sure you dissolve it and mix good, before throwing in the racks. After 10-15 minutes everything just wipes off. I use one of those green scrubbers. I use to throw in dishwasher, but it would never get everything off and I would be scrubbing anyway.

Amen to that powdered dishwasher soap, that stuff is the cat's meow when it comes to taking baked on anything off. Just soak and wipe, I keep a box handy and I don't even have an automatic dishwasher.
Have you guys tried cleaning your racks with the new green phosphate-free dishwasher powders? How well did it work, if so? I've noticed that the phosphate-free powders don't work in a dishwasher nearly as well as the older phosphate types.

quote:
Originally posted by bubbasz1:
quote:
Originally posted by Crazy Smokin Larry:

Amen to that powdered dishwasher soap, that stuff is the cat's meow when it comes to taking baked on anything off. Just soak and wipe, I keep a box handy and I don't even have an automatic dishwasher.
I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with cleaning the racks.

In my old offset you couldn't and I never worried about it.

I don't in my AQ or FE, well, maybe ONCE a year.

I run it on high occassionally and use a brass brush to clean it off, but that's about it.

I do knock off the chunks, but that's about it.

When I clean it, I get a concrete mixing tub, soak the racks with a little simple green, overnight and then power spray them clean. Works VERY easy.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.