Skip to main content

I smoked a 7lb. brisket at 225 with my Amerique probe set for 190. The brisket did not have a large fat cap. The meat was soft but too dry for my taste. In my offset smoker I would cover the brisket in foil, bake in my indoor oven for several hours at 350 and then put in the smoker for a couple of hours to get the smoked taste. I always had cups of gravy to pour over the done meat.

What am I doing wrong with my cookshack? Everything else I have cooked has turned out great.

Dave
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well,I'm no expert-but a couple bits of info might help us,help you.

Was the seven pounder a flat,a nose on flat,or what?

Was it a commercial,select,or choice grade?

What brand was it?

Did it ever have foil on it?

Had it been wet aged,or previously frozen?

Did you check the cooker probe temp against a remote therm,and several places with a consistent instaread probe?

195º could also be overcooked.
quote:
Originally posted by Tom:
Well,I'm no expert-but a couple bits of info might help us,help you.

Was the seven pounder a flat,a nose on flat,or what?

Flat

Was it a commercial,select,or choice grade?
What brand was it?

I bought it at Sam's Club

Did it ever have foil on it?

No

Had it been wet aged,or previously frozen?

I don't believe it had been frozen

Did you check the cooker probe temp against a remote therm,and several places with a consistent instaread probe?

No, the cookshack proba has been working well so far.

195º could also be overcooked.

True....
A couple thoughts would be to check the cooker probe,to be sure it is accurate.

If from Sam's ,it should be choice,and never frozen.

The kill/pack date will be on the cardboard case,and hopefully,it has been setting in the cooler a couple of weeks.

Sam's usually carries IBP,which is what many comp teams use.

The choice[they will be stamped on the cryovac] flats we've cooked from Sam's may poke tender down around 187º,when cooking at around 225º in a traditional Cookshack.

We would let rest 2-3 hrs in foil,in a cooler and they rise another 5º.

The CS cooks moist,so often foil isn't needed.

If we did foil,we would cook around 220º-240º ,until about 165º internal-or until it looks nice.

If you need the extra time,for timing,it won't hurt them to cook at 190º-200º for extra smoke,etc.,until you foil them.

You can overlap sheets of plastic,so they overlap and don't leak,and then heavy foil,and take the flat straight to it.

you can add 1/2 cup + beef broth/coffee/bbq sauce/beer/balsamic vinegar/wooster-whatever you like,to the wrapping.

Back in the cooker at about 250º,until about 190º internal and let rest in the cooler a couple of hrs.

Should be plenty of soppin's.

After a couple tries,you'll figure whether to cook a little more,or less.

Hope this helps a little.
Last edited by tom
quote:
Originally posted by GeiyserQ:
Dave,

Maybe I'm not understanding you right, but If you dont set the meat in a pan or wrap in foil during the cooking process how are you supposed to collect any juice?

Its all going out your drain hole not?

The pictures that I have seen show moist briskets w/o being in foil. To get a cup og gravy it will need to be in foil. It appears that 190 is too high an end point.
Dave,
I agree with Tom. Check it at 187 degrees internal. I try not to buy a flat if a packer or point is available. I have one secret for cooking just a flat, save some of the heavy fat you remove from your next full packer brisket and vacuum pack it.

Then the next time you cook a flat, thaw out the fat and toothpick it to the top of the flat and when smoked at 220 to 225 degrees you will find a juicer more tender piece of brisket.

smokemullet

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.