Skip to main content

Well, I've been waiting all year, and may be within a couple of months of owning my first electric smoker.
I started thinking, if I got the call today from CS, would I be willing to pull the trigger; well, heck yes, I've been waiting this long. There is one only slight cocnern though: heater size. It's smaller than the size for model 50/55 and it's a larger cooking area. I'm sure it was done for the right reasons, I just wonder if there is any reason to consider a 50/55 instead.
Any thoughts from you seasoned CS owners would be appriciated.
Thanks,
Barry - just killing time waiting for my smoker...
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

By going with a smaller heater, you will have less overshoot, helping to control better.

Also, this smoker has a hold feature, which keeps your food warm, probably at around 140F, so the heater has to be sized to do this as well.

As long as your getting to 230F or so, it dosent't really matter if it takes 20 or 45 min.

Really, you should get a better smoke if you heat is on for 45 minutes per hour rather than just 10.
Your heating and smoke production will be more consistent.

In this rare instance, more isn't better.
Here's Stuart's response to a similar question:

Let me see if I can give a couple of quick answers. We chose a 750 watt heating element after a trying several different wattages. The 750 performed the best in this unit. Also the element has a little different shape than what we have used in the past so that we get a little more heat out towards the sides of the unit.We basically designed this unit per customer request. We can hold a much tighter temperature in the unit with an electronic controller and we had a lot of customers requesting a unit that would hold whole slabs of ribs.

The feature that allows you to cook to an internal temperature of the food you are cooking we believe will make this a popular unit. I have to admit that it just makes cooking in a Cookshack that much easier...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.