Skip to main content

My first post. Very similar to Coastside Fishing website here in CA. Just got my new 055 smoker last week. I was very excited. My wife about fell out of her chair when I told her how much I paid for it. I got the smoker as I am out salmon fishin every weekend and got sick of people smokin my fish for me and then keeping 1/2 as a fee. A couple issues. One of the legs on the smoker appears to be slightly shorter than the others so the smoker wobbles a little. However, when I put the drip pan under the smoker, it keeps it from wobbling. That was somewhat disappointing since I spent a grand for the smoker and expected it to be perfect. Am I just being too picky??? Anyway, I proceeded with seasoning the smoker per the directions. I was surprised about the amount of smoke coming out of the top left corner of the door. I have read several posts regarding the same thing and it appears that this may be normal. Some posts indicate that after a few smokes, that will go away. I have seasoned it several times for up to 14 hours to see if it goes away and it is still leaking. Doesn't this cause alot of moisture to be lost? Will this ever go away? I did smoke 2 full racks of spare ribs and used the hooks. Smoked for 4 3/4 hours at 225 with the Cookshack rub and coating of Apple Cider Vinegar. Used 2 oz of hickory and 2 oz of apple. I am partial to baby backs but figured that the spare ribs had more fat and meat on them and may be a good candidate for my first smoke. I did open up the door very quickly probably 3 times during cooking in order to spray them down with more vinegar. They turned out just OK. A little dry and not the falling off the bone as I had expected. May have been a bad cut of meat but I am concerned that it is the leaking from the door that may be the problem. Should I be marinating first? Great website and hope to be an active participant!! Sorry so long!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry but one more question! My smoker has a sliding latch for the top handle but not for the bottom one. Is this how it's suppose to be? Also, I just saw a recent post regarding the smoke coming out of the corner so sorry for asking the same question on the subject again. Thanks in advance for replies.
Fish On (Smoke On) <*)))))>< <*)))))><
Hi FlatOut,

The sliding latch on the top handle is a child proof latch, there is only supposed to be one on each smoker...

The smoke leak around the door may or may not go a way. Most of the time they will seal themselves after a few times of cooking in the unit. However if it does not it will not hurt the unit or it's performance.

Next time you cook ribs try leaving the door closed the entire time and see if it doesn't help them to stay a bit moisturer...
dooohhhh, Almost.

Flatout is NOT the 5000th member, he is #5000. Main page says he is 4975 are registered, and we're looking for the 5000th REGISTERED member.

There is a difference because the number on the main page is still active members.

As stated in the rules, the 5000th on the main page will be the winner. That is the actual number.

quote:
5000th members as determined on the entry page to the site:

CS Main page

Look on the upper right and it tells you # of members.
Man, you try to run a simple contest for a little fun and it's more complicate by which number, forum outages, etc. Guess I'll think twice about the next contest.
I too am a new 55 owner.

Smoke continues to leak from the top left hand side of the door, although it has reduced slightly as more smokes take place.

My 55 has two child proof latches, one on each of the handles.
Am I special to have two?
or has someone met my son! Big Grin

Regards,
By Eck Lad
Just wanted to add to my post and say that Stuart got back to me right away with my issue on the wobble of my new smoker. Offered to have my smoker replaced with another, freight included. I made a quick fix as I want to do some more smokin asap. I just took off one of the leg caps and put a few pieces of thin cardboard inside, put cap back on, and whammy, No more wobble. All's good. Excellent customer service and that's one reason why I bought a Cookshack. Hats off to Stuart. What's the deal with the reference to 5000th member. Is there a contest? I looked on the main page and don't see anything. That's too bad if there is. I never win anthing! I guess rules are rules. I hope it wasn't a free smoker or something. I'd really be kickin myself!! Smoke On!
No flat out, you didn't miss it.

We are predicting when the 5000th registered member will join and the contest, which is in the Open Forum, closed yesterday. It's for $50 to spend at Cookshack.

Welcome to the group. Glad Stuart, the President of the Company took care of your issue.

Smokin'
Hi By Eck Lad,

You must be special or my production group just forgot that they are only suppose to put one child proof latch per smoker...

Just a little thought on the doors leaking, it has always been our thought that it is better to have a little leak than to have a door seal that gets beat up and has to be replaced.

If the unit is leaking a lot of smoke, it can be sealed if you are handy with a rubber mallet. In the factory we take a rubber mallet and strike the top of the door where it is leaking to get them to seal. The space where the smoke is leaking is normally about the thickness of a piece of paper, so bending the top of the door just slighty will normally seal the leak.

Hope that helps and good luck smokin...
My Smokette has ONE childproof latch.. Doooohh..

BUT, if anyone wants the sliding ring on mine.. they can have it for the price of postage.. Now, that's an offer you can't beat with a rubber mallet Big Grin

To me, it's a pain in the royal toosh.. "sides, I don't know how a kid would have to contort him/herself to get into it.. much less put up with the smell of smokey, greasy leftover "stuff".
Heck, I like the latch. It even keeps some adults out.

I would hate to have a "set it and forget it smoker" and go out and check a 7# butt after 10 hours to see some kid had opened the door and didnt reclose it.

One thing is for sure. If there wasnt a latch, this post would be about everyone wanting one. The grass is always greener on the other side......
quote:
Originally posted by Stuart:
[qb] Hi By Eck Lad,

If the unit is leaking a lot of smoke, it can be sealed if you are handy with a rubber mallet. In the factory we take a rubber mallet and strike the top of the door where it is leaking to get them to seal.

Hope that helps and good luck smokin... [/qb]
Stuart,

Do you hit the door when it is open, or when it is closed? or is that a stupid question?

By the way...I do not intend to do it, as the amount is still reducing with each cook.

Anyway, the more of the smell that escapes, the more my neighbours have an excuse to come round with gifts of liquid refreshments, just to see what�s cooking Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.