Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

cook more??!!!! Razzer
just kidding
for stainless steel i found some really good stuff at home depot and it beats sheila shine all to heck!!!!! it doesn't smell,doesn't leave a residue and really works!!!! called stainless steel wipes and in our home depot they are near the grill section. comes in a round canister and are single pull wipes.
for the black, since we live right by the ocean and salt air causes havoc i found that just by wiping the area down with cooking oil and letting it set awhile and then wiping off i have been able to stop all of that.
hope it helps some
jack
I realize this is a fairly old post, but I am just reading it for the first time. I too am having a little rust form on my black smokette. I expected this to happen since I didn't spring for the all stainless model, but like Smokin' Joe, I too would like to know what to do about the rust, AFTER it has already appeared on the black part. (mainly the door)

P.S. I always keep it covered when not in use.
I kept my black Smokette ,loosely covered ,here in beach salt air for about six years.

It developed a little rust ,but never really got much more.

You can do a little spot sanding and paint with a black rustoleum primer.

A little three in one oil, wiped on vulnerable spots, works well.

Like Jack says,Home Depot has some good products,as do marine stores.
The proper stuff is Jasco Metal etch or Corroseal which is water base, or a type of. Paint stores welding stores sell it. It converts the rust back to iron ore. Remove loose stuff light sanding, apply the The proper stuff is Jasco Metal etch or Corroseal which is water base. While it is doing its thing.

Marinade 12 pounds of chicken wings in Aloha Brand bbq sauce. When the The proper stuff is Jasco Metal etch or Corroseal which is water base turns white apply primer, while the primer dries, take out the wings place them on a rack and allow them to dry.

Apply your touch up black paint add 2 ounces of alder to your wood box place wings in smoker.

That should cover it
Not sure about Osmocote.. however, the process is really quite simple. Some simple sanding to get it down to a reasonably clean metal.. followed by a rinse with mineral spirits.. followed by a light coating of phosphoric acid.

The phosphoric acid will convert the rust to another, relatively insoluble compound. You have to be careful not to apply too much as it will leave an acid surface..

If done correctly, the process is very effective. I've used it in marine environments back in the days when I worked at a marine research laboratory.

A readily available product is called Naval Jelly. Not designed to put in your naval.. rather developed for rust conversion in marine or other environments. The nice thing about this product, as I remember, is that it is pH balanced... a bit easier and safer to use.. from the standpoint of the metal. Once it dries and forms it's protective skin.. it is paintable with something like Rustoleum.

Rustoleum, by itself will work fine.. but, if it is in the area of the door latch.. the scraping of the latch on the mating piece will wear away the Rustoleum paint quickly.. the skin from the Naval Jelly.. less quickly.
You are sooooo Freaking right!
I just described how to fertlize and paint a Smokette Red Face

The proper stuff is Jasco Metal etch or Corroseal which is water base.

OH my gosh talk abour pho pah Well have a good laugh on me.

No wonder the trusses are getting longer and the grass is all dead Eeker

I use both both products where I manage (apparently not well)

I have since fixed my first post Roll Eyes

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.