Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Opened the door to apply some vinegar sauce to it and rotate trays. The internal dropped to 150. After closing and restablishing the temp, with the knob on just under 200, it sits pretty well at 225-230 with peaks to 245 and then back down. I think the heating element on this unit is a lot bigger than the 008 and it kicks up the heat faster. But the thermostat, it would seem, should be clicking on fairly close to the temp you want. For example, I would expect it to 'click' at 220 if the knob was at 225. But when the knob was on 225, I was at 280 at one point and it appeared to drop to around 250. It seems like this thermostat is about 25 degrees off I think. I never hit 280 on my 008!
I typically don't even watch the internal temp but with this being a new unit for me, I would check it out with some meat in it.
There must be a test that you can run to verify your thermostat setting.
Makes me want to use my computer even more to manage the heating element. I could be switching it on and off as I need to maintain the range.
Not touching the probe, checked it. I think the thermostat is about 25 degrees off. When I set the dial to 200, it sits right about 225 with some swings right around there. I will call and ask what I should do to conduct an accuracy test. I did the two butts and they hit just about 15 hours for 190. They turned out Great! Used that vinegar based rub I found on the board thanks to SmokinOkie. My kid loved it and said he prefers the pulled over ribs. That's fine. I had the ribs tonight.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.