Skip to main content

Has anyone tried to put a pan on the inside of the CS smokette to catch the drippings to use later so it isn't exposed to the outside environment?

Was thinking of putting a pan a lower rack under the meat for the catch.

Will this impede the operation at all or any other negative effects?

Thanks,
Rick in CO
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Rick,

The biggest negative will be taste of the over smoked drippings. Most people on the forum wont use them for making graveys or sauces.

That being said try it. You may like it!

As long as the pan isn't so large that it does not allow the smoke and heat to distribute, you won't harm the smoker.
I'll put beans under pork to catch the drippings.

The problem is that the pan only method will be lower and thus closer to the heat. As there won't be a lot of grease to begin with, it tends to burn just sitting there in aluminum. If you pull it out occassionally and put it into something else, you can save it, but don't know why. Most of it's grease, the juices tend to burn off.
I cover my drip pan with foil, punch a quarter size hole in it, put it under the 009 and let the dripping catch there. Nothing much can get into it. I raise the corner of the foil & use a turkey baster to remove the juices as I need them. If you suck it out & put in the refrigerator, the fat solidifies and is easy to separate from the rest.

I found an aluminum oven baking pan in my pantry that just fit under the 009 & is big enough to catch a lot of juices. Figured this out AFTER the pan I was using overflowed.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
I'll put beans under pork to catch the drippings.

The problem is that the pan only method will be lower and thus closer to the heat. As there won't be a lot of grease to begin with, it tends to burn just sitting there in aluminum. If you pull it out occassionally and put it into something else, you can save it, but don't know why. Most of it's grease, the juices tend to burn off.

To avoid burning off the drippings place quarry tiles one the lower rack, and place drip pan on tiles. This creats a buffer between the heating element and pan. I use it often and have never burned the drippings. For my 008 4 tiles do the trick.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.