Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

SmokerBoy - It all as to do with your personal taste. What tickles your tastebuds may send mine into utter confusion! Personally, I dont do mesquite. Too bitter for me yet some Texans swear by it as the only way to do brisket. Do a search on woods. In general (and in my opinion) hickory is the king of smoking woods and gives a pretty heavy smoke. Oak and pecan are good all around woods.

Here's a link to smoking woods and their characteristics Do a search on the forum and get other smokers opinions. Just remember that your taste is what counts.

Welcome to the forum! Hope you have many fantastics smokes ahead of you.
Personally, I don't understand why so many of you are anti-mesquite, unless you are just using too much.

I have used mesquite for years on a Weber using indirect heat and have always loved the flavor on turkey.

My very first smoke when I got my CS a couple months ago was a whole chicken (4.5lb) and a 2oz. chunk of mesquite. The result made me and the wife think the meal was sent from heaven.
The comment about mesquite was because the original post mentioned "...mesquite for chicken"

I'm not against mesquite when it's used for grillin'

Considering I've spent years in mesquite country (west texas where I could go out the back door and get all I want) I've got a fair bit of experience, and with a pretty sophisticated smoke sense, just my 2cents that's its too harsh for "most" smokers.

That's the good thing about Q'in, what doesn't work for some is heaven sent for others.

Good to hear from you Mike, we'll call you "Capt'n Mesquite" from now on.
this is an interesting thread.
just goes to show how varied bbq is and how what wood is available influences choices.
myself i like pecan (whole nuts in my bullet smoker, flavor pellets in the sm150 and blend in the fec)
i also like orange wood so when i prune my trees i just store some away. the nuts my neighbor gives me in exchange for some q
jack
prisonchef313,
You said whole nuts (Pecan) used in your bullet. Now, I LOVE pecan wood for smoking, but I have never used the whole nut. Doesn't the meat from nut burn thus making what ever your smoking taste burnt? If not, I will sure have to try that!! I love to smoke with Pecan and apple woods. I think I already know the answer to putting whole apples in the smoker. Just kidding on that one.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.