Skip to main content

I've been waiting for the new model for a while now... I called the other day and they told me it may be 4 months still....

They just opened a new Cabelas in Austin.... I wonder if they have a model 50 in stock...

this will be my first smoker. I cook on our grill or with a dutch oven a couple of times a week when the weather is nice, usualy just for 4-8 people, but every couple of months I'll cook for a party of 20-30 (Sunday School class, kids soccer teams, kids Karate class (all with parents and kids, of course), etc...)

what would you do, stick to your guns and hold out for the elusive new model, or get the model 50 and be done with it... I like the size specs of the new model, but the temperature probe that monitors the temperature of the meat realy sounds great. i'm all about convieniance, that's why I want a CS over an offset.

In a way, I want to get it for the summer... then again, I've been waiting for a while, I hate to give up right at the end...

Thanks for any opinions!
Barry
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

And I will say this.........unlessy you are talking about ribs, I can cook for 20 or more people in my 009. So if you are getting antsy buy a smokette, skip the model 50, knowing you'll graduate to the new model. Who knows, if you entered a name in the contest you may even win one!
But I guess the reasn for this post is to say 4- 8 people can be served very well from the smaller smokette. There is only 2 times i wish I had the larger 50, and thats when I wanted to make a whole ham, and when I wanted to do 20" sticks of summer sausage. Never because I couldn't make enough to feed my family.
Thanks for the comments all...

Mango, I know waiting to get what I want is better... but it's summer now, I think we entertain more in the summer than any other time, I would just enjoy it now and I'm getting edgy.

GeiyserQ, i know the 008 would likely suffice, I just want the extra space for flexability in cooking for crowds, multiple meets, etc... I'm sure if I bought one I would never look back and would just enjoy the heck out of it. My wife would throw a fit if I tried to buy two, I've already pitched this to her as a purchase that will last for years.

TaktEZ... funny thing, for my job I'm a Regulatory Engineer and work with UL on a daily basis... I agree they can be slow sometimes. If you're not on the list, you might want to call CS next week, they have a list now, I called a few days ago and I was number 25 I beleive. I've been calling every few months for a while, and even asked about a list a few months ago, this is the first time they've actualy had a list.

thanks again all... I don't know if I go to the new cabelas and they have a CS in stock, I might crack...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.