Skip to main content

Hi to All,

Just got a CS SM 50 and did a whole chicken for my 1st smoke. It turned out great!!! However the digital thermometer I used never did show it at the proper temp. 2nd smoke was pork ribs and tried to cook per the CS directions, 225 for 4 hours, way under done, put back in for another 1 1/2 hours (was too hungry to wait any longer) and they still were not done - i.e. had to fight with the bones to chew the meat off. 3rd smoke was a boneless pork loin and just cooked until the thermometer read 170 and the meat was dried out. 4th smoke was a whole turkey per CS directions and after the 10 hour time per the instructions the internal temp was no where near the 185 degrees recommended for poultry, it took another 2 hours to reach 185. Then after a "rest" time I carved it and it was sooo dry it was inedible.

By the way, I have checked the temp calibration on my thermometer and it is right on.

Do any of you Q'n gurus have any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Mike -- Toss the CS book and read this forum. Read SmokinOkie's BBQ Guide along with Owner's Archeives and Favorite Recipes. Also take a look at the Poultry Archeives as you seem to be doing a lot of chicken.

On those ribs (I am assuming they were pork) put them in at 225 and don't open the door for at least 4 hours. When they are done, the meat will be pulled up on the bone a good 1/2 - 3/4 inch. Use a set of tongs and pick them up. If the meat starts to crack and break away they are ready. Or, if a toothpick goes easily between ribs that's a sign of doness too.

I've never taken chicken to 185. 170 should suffice.

Lots of good people here will also chime in and lend their advice. We'll get you on the road to good Q. Have a little patience and you wil be plesantly satisfied!

Let us know when you are about to do that next smoke. People here will walk you through it Big Grin

Keep the faith!
They were pork ribs, cooked them a total of 5 1/2 hours at 225 and they still were not done. On the chicken, after 4 hours the thermometer was still only about 165, but I took it out and it was done and very good.

It was the turkey that I went to 185 because that is what the temp should be for turkey, at least with other cooking methods. But it was so dry it was not edible.
Mike,
I did a 10 lb turkey yesterday.
I put mayo and rub on it about 6 hrs. prior to smoking.
I smoked it at 225 deg. with 2 oz of hickory and 2 oz apple.
Pulled it at 170 degrees 5 and 1/2 hours later.
After 20 minutes or so of resting I carved and the juices were clear and ALL the meat was moist, including the breast. EVERYONE loved it!

Thanks again Cookshack and the archeives!
As a new cookshack owner my opinion is that the smoker thermostet might not read right or control corectly till the inside of the smoker is black, I had a fit doing my first batch, but after putting in a 12lb brisket everything smoothed out, go get a 10lb pork butt and smoke away!!
Q'n Mike,

My suggestion, let's work on one thing at a time, you have a lot of questions and different things. Fix one and the others will follow soon.

First question on ribs. How much did they weigh? Reason, a 2 lb rack and a 3.5 lb rack will be Very Very different. There are a lot of bronto spares out there, over 3 lb that will take 6 or more hours to cook.

The pork loin should be pulled at 150

For chicken I also go with 170, dark will be juice and breast won't be overcooked.

Thanks wheelz you posted a lot of good info.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.