Skip to main content

"I have also found the front of the box hot spot, but have never gotten wood to ashes only charred chunks with little smoke I too have experienced more smoke at higher temps (275˚-300˚), but too hot for most cooking (ie. ribs, brisket, butts, note owners manual/cookbook). I can notice smoke after about 20 min. and up to the time the unit starts cycling, which is when the temp. is with in 15˚ of set temp. But starting out at a high temp to produce smoke and later setting to desired cooking temp kinda defeats the set-it and forget it aspect of the cooker (with all due respect).

For instance as I type, I am 1 hour into a test @ 180˚ set temp. (CS hickory, some chips & pellets). After 20 min. I had visible smoke at the vents and a temp. of 160˚. At 27 min. into the cook/test temp. was 165˚ and the control went into cycling mode (on, off at 5-10 sec. intervals) which does not allow the burner to get hot enough to ignite or keep the wood ignited. At 45 min. into the test, temp. was 177˚ and not even the slightest sign of smoke at the vents now. After 58 min. the set temp. of 180˚ was attained.
25 min. of smoke ain't smokin'. This is similar to what I have experienced when set at 225˚.

The AQ is OK as a cooker, but does not produce the degree or quality of smoke flavor that is desired in smoked meats. In all my cooks thus far, smoke flavor is nill to none. Not even close to the quality of what my 055 produces so well.

I fully understand the characteristics of different woods and how moisture content can affect same. In my 055 this is not a problem and should not be in the AQ. In a test I did a couple of days ago at 225˚ using pellets and chips, they hardly chared or burnt...some just the same as when put in. It isn't the wood, as I am using the same woods that my 055 utilizes with no problem.

2 Briskets for father's day will be smoked in the trusty 055.

All the people at Cookshack are great to work with and this is why I am testing and working with them to remedy my problem of lack of smoke.

The best to ya,
Rob"

Its a long story. The waiting for my amerique! Then UPS left it for two days without shipping it to my drivers location. SOO I drove 190 miles round trip to pick it today.

But it gets worse!

I started it up for the seasoning. I set 240 temp for 5 hours. After 20 minutes or so I had smoke coming out of the holes. So I came inside and started working on my computer. While I was there I checked the forum and found the above post. It was in the open forum under smoking cheese. Well guess what. After about 2 hours I went to check the AQ and there was no more smoke. I even checked the wood box and the wood chunks were not even charred or burned in any fasion. I increased the temp to 270 and still nothing. It was acting just like the above post. I called CS right then to see if I was doing anything wroung. Terry said she would get someone to call me. That was over a hour and half ago. Its 4:45 and I am going to call them back. It sure looks like the long wait and looking forward to a super butt for fathers day may have been for naught!!

How about it AQ owners whats the problem??

Need Help!

Tom
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Egg Eeker on the face.

I did call CS back. Got them as they were leaving for the day. Spoke to Karen this time around. As soon as I told her what was wrong, she told me how to correctly put the wood box in the smoker! Red Face

I only turned it off long enough to put the wook box in correctly and then started it back up at 270 degrees. I stopped posting to go check and its a smokin!!! Big Grin

For any other AQer's with this problem, the wood box slides onto the heating element it does not sit on top of it! Eeker

Tom
Yes, box does need to be into the heat element, most certainly.

I can assure you they are working on it. Stewart told me on Wednesday he would be back in the office Friday and do some testing there, as I have done with mine.

I have done other tests at different temps (pics posted in the cheeze thread) and the 180˚ test (quoted in previous post) was to simulate a jerky smoke/cook (I do lots of jerky) and in conclusion it would be cooked (with maybe some time added), but not smoked to a palatable degree, I would consider smoked jerky.

Absolutely the best people to work with, even overnited a control board to me to try (did not fix).
If you read my previous posts in the cheeze thread, I was using my drip pan ¾ full of cold water as a "load". I would do the pan of water and try to re-season. If you have some mesquite use it too, as it is oily and seasons nicely.

I would go ahead and cook your pork for fathers day, as a load does help. If you are experiencing the same as me (sounds as if you are) use the CS rub and go for it. They will turn out quite edible, but may lack smoke flavor.
A word of caution, it took mine 22 hrs. to cook 2, 7# butts, so cook accordingly. My board was acting goofy the next am, 10 hrs into the cook, but worked fine there after just took a long time (set at 225˚, probe 200˚)
Best to ya and have a great fathers' day,
Rob
Last edited by Former Member

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.