Skip to main content

I am in the market for a new smoker. I currently cook on a WSM or a BBQ Galore offset. My problem is I just started a new job and I don't have alot of time to babysit a smoker. I have been a lurker on this site for a little over a month. I have read about the lack of a smoke ring on meat smoked in a cookshack. Is there away around this? Is it possible to use pellets in a CS, if so would I have to measure them out? It seems the wood has to weigh 4oz.

Thanks,

Bryan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Bryan - Welcome to the forum. Big Grin The first thing to remember is that the smoke ring (SR) has absolutely nothing to do with the "taste" of your Q. And "yes" there are a couple of ways to create the smoke SR.

One is to add a coule of real-wood charcoal briquetts to thhe woodbox. The nitrates/nirtrites wil do the job.

You can also use a tad of Morton "Tender Quick" in your rubs.

Do a search on "smoke ring" up in the search function and you wil find plenty of discussion on the topic.

If you are loooking "Not" to babysit your smoker, CookShack is the only way to fly. I guarantee you'll not be disappointed - and so does CookShack. You've got 30 day to test it out and return it - risk free.

Feel free to ask more questions. This is a great forum and has a bunch of wonderful people willing to help you out most any way they can.

PS The wood doesn't "have" to weigh 4 oz. We measure our wood in oz just because it takes so little wood for the CS to do it's job. One of the hard things to get used to is not using so much wood like the amout you use in your WSM or a stick-burner.
bp,
funny you should bring up pellets.
in our mobile rig that's all we use since we have both an fec and sm150.
after some fiddling around i found a way to match the sm product to the fec which was a have to do thing for us at times.
while i use bbqr's delight oak/pecan heat pellets i am sure you could do the same thing with flavor pellets.

what i do in a nutshell is this;
1- meat goes in cold (interior temp is below 32f)
2- make a pouch from heavy aluminum foil. tear off a piece. fold in half. put the fold line next to your tummy. fold the left side over to seal. fold the right side over to seal. and at the top you have an opening.
3- put 4 ounces of pellets in and seal. take toothpick and make ONE HOLE!!!! and that goes in the wood box.
4- every 4 hours just reload.
smoke ring has never been a problem doing this. but remember smoke ring has no real taste it just looks good.
hope it helps
jack
I have an 09. by accident, my wife ordered pellets instead of chunks. when my chunks are gone I will go to pellets only. The smoke is the same and MUCH eaiser to use. I dont have to adjust the wood so the door will close. I have read other posts of people who put the pellets in foil with the small hole. I just put a double piece of fiol in the bottom of my wood box and put in the pellets. I cant tell the difference. I dont add any durring the smoke. As far as the SM goes, you wont miss it. Try it. you will be impressed. I was!
David

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.