Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've never cleaned the 'ceiling' or walls of my smoker. I have scraped them with a 'sample' credit card, the kind we all get in the mail. I also use that card to scrape grease that gets under the foil I line the bottom with. I've used a good grease cutting detergent to clean the bottom as well and then rinse the soap off well. That's it.
On my home smoker, I scrape down the walls with a wide blade putty knife and wipe down with paper towels every few loads. When I remember, I scrape down the top, too. I always scrub the grills and sometimes run them thru the dishwasher. I don't put water or liquid on the sides or top of the smoker so that it will retain its seasoning.

(2greyhounds are cooking for the public and they must be concerned with sanitation and their local health dept regulations as well as their own consciences and standards.)

Donna who says, "When all else fails, read the operator's manual." Big Grin
I use a wide blade plastic putty knife to get the crusty scale removed and spray down the top, sides and bottom with vinegar spray. I then rinse down with a water spray and wipe down with towels. I also use a fryer drain cleaner brush for the exhaust vent hole. Works like a charm! Razzer I believe that "cleanliness is next to Godliness".
That's good one Wheelz. I like it. I guess Harding College is still up and running. Excuse me. I meant Harding U. When I was there it still had a title of college behind the name. I'm showing my age. Gotta go! Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Wheelz:
Always good to have a clean bottom! Keeps one from chaffing Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by smoky:
I use a wide blade plastic putty knife to get the crusty scale removed and spray down the top, sides and bottom with vinegar spray. I then rinse down with a water spray and wipe down with towels. I also use a fryer drain cleaner brush for the exhaust vent hole. Works like a charm! Razzer I believe that "cleanliness is next to Godliness".

Just remember: if you are cleaning out all the 'seasoning', you will need to re-season before the next cook, just like starting out with a new smoker. I like to leave mine seasoned.

Cool
The seasoning is still 'dare' after the cleanup. We are using no chemicals whatsoever inside our smokers. Wouldn't dream of it!

quote:
Originally posted by GLH:
quote:

Just remember: if you are cleaning out all the 'seasoning', you will need to re-season before the next cook, just like starting out with a new smoker. I like to leave mine seasoned.

Cool
quote:
That's good one Wheelz. I like it. I guess Harding College is still up and running. Excuse me. I meant Harding U. When I was there it still had a title of college behind the name. I'm showing my age. Gotta go! Smiler

quote:

Smoky -- Yeppers, Good ol' HU (Bisons) is still up and running. Seems like they expand more every year - 7000+ enrollment. If you haven't been there since "college" days you may not know the place. Searcy is still a nice, peaceful town but growing fast! Rumor is we are getting our second WallyWorld sometime in the near future.
i never use any chemicals in my smoker. i may chip away at the build up, but otherwise, let her ride....
one day i was cooking taters, with no smoke, just for bakers, and folks kept saying, wow, that smoker sure smell good! it was just the seasoning....heehee no wood at all....
Wheelz,
I started at HU but had to finish my education in Texas. Harding was just too costly! Loved Searcy and the whole state of Arkansas. Beautiful area.... Hated to leave. We went back probably 35 years ago to visit. I bet it sure has changed. Smiler

quote:
quote:

quote:

Smoky -- Yeppers, Good ol' HU (Bisons) is still up and running. Seems like they expand more every year - 7000+ enrollment. If you haven't been there since "college" days you may not know the place. Searcy is still a nice, peaceful town but growing fast! Rumor is we are getting our second WallyWorld sometime in the near future.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.