Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Open Box, read instructions, wipe down the inside of the smoker with a mild soap to remove forming oils and rinse, put about 6 chunks of wood in the smoke box, plug it in, set to 250 F and let er rip for about 4 hours to season the smoker. Then you are ready to experiment.

Don't use the instructions in the booklet that comes with the smoker for times and wood amounts.. just my opinion. I'd start with something inexpensive like chicken.. but most folks suggest a pork butt.. I'd rather use something cheap like a chicken. For chicken, use only 2 oz of wood to start in order to find out how much smoke you like. Chicken absorbs smoke like crazy so it's easy to over do it. You will not go wrong using the Chicken Rub that comes with the smoker.

You might consider getting a remote thermometer or one of those that have an umbilicle cord to insert into the meat. That will give you a good idea of the internal temp of the meat and you won't have to keep opening the smoker to find out how things are going.

Smokin'Okie has BBQ guides at the top of the page in the black buttons.. I believe he has a poultry 101 set of instructions there.. as well as instructions for other types of meats.

Keep us posted.. you'll love your Smokette.
Welcome to the Forum Jayc. You need to get that box open and get that pretty 'thang' out of the box. Start reading up and go to Smokin' Okie
Barbecue Guide and continue reading. This is a very important step in the learning process. This forum is outstanding with knowledge. Season that rascal and then get you a pork shoulder or a butt and get cook'n. Glad to have you. Holler if we can help. Smiler
Welcome jayc!

Actually, the seasoning is a 2-step process. The first step is the wood only step. A large, fatty hunk of pork is essential for the 2nd step. Hog fat (lard) is used for seasoning cooking vessels such as cast iron and SS for a reason. Use it. You will be glad you did.

I hope you enjoy your new toy as well as this forum.
Jayc,
I personally love the flavor of pecan. I use it a lot. Hickory and oak are also good. It is just whatever you like. Everyone has their own preferences. Experimentation. After getting the 'handle' on your smoker begin using your own ideas and suggestions of this great bobbaQ forum. Good luck! Wink
I agree with Smoky. I really like Pecan as well. It provides a nice flavor similar to hickory without its pungency.

Other woods I like to use are apple and cherry as they add a nice sweetness to whatever you smoke, and they are versatile enough for just about anything. I just got my hands on some citrus woods, and am going to try them once they get a bit drier.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.